Chapter 10: Class Change

FATE/LÚNASA FÓMHAR

"August Harvest"

Chapter 10: Class Change

Back inside the cabin, Mini-Cu woke up and realized he was lying on his side on the floor, with the cooling blanket haphazardly draped over him. He shoved it aside before causing the doll to glow red, and Cuchulainn Alter re-emerged in proper Servant form. After stretching for a moment, he glanced down at the chair which Connla had been resting in previously. Since he had been fast asleep for most of the day, he failed to hear her wake up and depart earlier that evening.

"Wonder where she took off to," he mumbled to himself and investigated the technologically advanced cottage. He looked in every room carefully, but couldn't find her anywhere. He grew increasingly concerned as he heard the fierce pitter-patter of rain slamming against the metallic walls outside. He actually didn't spot any of the other Servants either, so he had no idea where everyone was.

Soon though, Cuchulainn heard the door whir open followed by multiple pairs of harried footsteps barging into the front room. Then he heard Cuchulainn Prototype bark aloud, "Whew, that was some freak storm!"

"I'll go get some towels so we can dry off," Boudica offered as she set a large basket of wild berries on the table and headed for the washroom.

Emiya ran his fingers through his damp hair and grumbled, "Damn it. If I knew this was going to happen, I would have asked Da Vinci to make us some kind of weather forecasting device."

"It's still very strange though," Jing Ke pondered, having sobered up since the afternoon's events. "I have seen plenty of storms, whether it was alive or as a Servant, and never have I seen clouds roll in so quickly."

Nightingale nodded. "Agreed. No matter which way you look at it, this is truly unnatural weather even for this area."

Kintoki didn't seem terribly bothered as he exclaimed, "Phew! Kinda sucks to be stuck like this, but hey, at least we'll get to watch a mighty fine show of booming thunder and searing white-hot lightning! Storm watching should always be part of any good summer memory!"

"You might be amused by such a dangerous event, but I cannot say the same for our royal patrons."

At the rear of the group, Mata Hari and Nitocris were already drying off Gilgamesh and Ozymandias respectively, and both kings looked incredibly grumpy. Neither of them wanted to share in Kintoki's exuberance after being so rudely drenched by terrible amounts of rain. The others were afraid that if they said even the most innocent thing to them, they would wind up being victim to either Gate of Babylon or Ramesseum Tentyris in a heartbeat. Thus, everyone other than Mata Hari and Nitocris maintained their distance and opted to wait until the kings' collective moods improved before attempting to speak with them.

Cuchulainn Alter stared at everyone for a bit, then asked, "Where the hell were all of you gone?"

"Just went out to scavenge for food," Emiya told him. "Proto, Kintoki and I took care of the hunting, Nightingale and Jing Ke portioned the meat, while Boudica and Mata Hari picked a bunch of fruit. The three royals just stood around and did nothing, but that's to be expected."

"Never thought I'd find a different use for my knife than killing," Jing Ke grinned as she set the meat inside the large walk-in fridge. "Perhaps I should pursue a career in butchery?"

"That'd be a good idea. With your skills, you'd make for an excellent addition to the galley."

"Like I give a shit about any of that," Alter muttered, then asked everyone, "Have any of you seen Connla around?"