Chapter 18: Grudges of the Sacrificed

FATE/LÚNASA FÓMHAR

"August Harvest"

Chapter 18: Grudges of the Sacrificed

Near the northeastern sector of Okeanos known as the Sunken Rock Seas, Cuchulainn Alter was already swimming in the direction of the mana threads that he sensed leading to somewhere beneath the ocean. He rocketed through the water so quickly that he literally blew apart entire schools of fish in his mad pursuit. His mind blocked all other thoughts besides finding the Fomorian idol and wrecking it as soon as possible. As he shot closer and closer to his target, he discovered it resting within a bed of submerged boulders, almost blending in with its surroundings had it not been glowing that familiar ominous green color.

There you are!

Cuchulainn grinned widely and wielded Gae Bolg in a throwing position. He didn't want to get close to this one like he did with the previous statue, believing there was some kind of guardian lurking in wait to ambush him. However, he never anticipated what would happen next – the effigy was showing signs of breaking apart on its own. He noticed blood-red marks glowing along the edges, which perplexed him so much that he lowered his weapon and widened his eyes.

What's going on here?

He knew he hadn't done anything yet, so he had every right to be confused. The statue disintegrated into worthless pebbles and rocks, releasing a thick cloud of grey dust that obscured it for a few moments. Suddenly, the milky cloud burst in the center as a clean circle. Something emerged from the wreckage and shot straight for the bewildered Cuchulainn. He snarled and raised Gae Bolg in time to parry a powerful blow that sent him shooting backwards. He tumbled several times before righting himself and glaring at whatever attacked him.

The figure turned out to be a long-haired woman in her early 20s. Those were literally the only features he could make out because she was otherwise a perfectly black silhouette with shining red eyes. She cracked her knuckles, clenched her fist, then swung her arm in a 360-degree motion several times to build up power before launching herself at him like a miniature meteorite. He rolled aside to dodge a punch that could have easily blown him apart even with blocking it. He might have been one of the strongest Berserkers in all of Chaldea, yet even he wasn't fool enough to try challenging such ridiculous bursts of strength head-on. He decided to swim for the bed of rocks and see about losing her before striking her down.

Cuchulainn weaved through the boulders and hid himself behind a particularly large stalagmite. Things were quiet for a few minutes, yet those seconds passed by as slowly as an eternity for him. He thought he had outwitted her, so he peered around to see what was going on. That was when the water rippled unnaturally, making his insides feel like so much squishy jelly that he wanted to vomit right there. The stalagmite fractured into large pieces before shattering apart, forcing him back out into the open. The Shadow Servant hadn't bothered with meticulously searching for him – she was just smashing rocks into pieces to get rid of any potential hiding spots.

This is ridiculous, Cuchulainn thought bitterly.

Growing irritated with staying on the defensive, he rushed in while the lady was reeling from her latest blow, and he swung Gae Bolg to try and decapitate her. She elegantly flipped backwards, then returned to deliver numerous punches and kicks at him. He had to do everything he could to avoid each strike, then found his chance to slash his spear against her back. She didn't seem to care though, and she turned around to deliver a massive blow at his solar plexus. Every ounce of air was forced out of his lungs, and he coughed up blood. Then the lady reared her leg back before slashing it upward like a pendulum, kicking his chin and launching him straight for the surface. Cuchulainn broke through the water and helplessly sailed over the ocean.