*Chapter Seven

"Hey!" You say whilst looking at yourself in the mirror, you were practising the perfect greeting for your date with George. You shake your head and decide to try again with a little more enthusiasm. "Hey!" You say whilst smiling so hard it hurts. "No! That one sucks as well," you yell at your reflection. "Why am I talking to myself I'm going insane?" You groan and collapse on your bed before forcing yourself up. "Hello!" You practically yell and then shake your head in annoyance - not quite being able to figure out the right greeting. You recollect yourself, determined to get it right, "Yo!"

"Y/N can you shut up for a minute!" Lily yells from her room, "George is here!"

You stare in the mirror in panic, grabbing your bag and checking that your outfit looked good. You take a deep breath and exit your room. Once you get to the front door you see George and Lily chatting and the butterflies once again fill your stomach but this time you aren't ashamed of them as you remember his text and feel a smile coming to your face. "What are you smiling about?" Lily teases.

"Me obviously," George smirks. You blush not wanting to admit he's right. He catches your eye and smiles at you seeing how flustered you are before winking at you.

"Well we should get going," You say, grabbing George's hand in a moment of confidence and leading him out the door.

"Have fun you two!" Lily says whilst waving and closing the door behind you.

George takes you round the block to a cute Italian place called "Cafe Italia".

"Wow it is quite literally called Cafe Italy," you remark.

"Don't judge a book by it's cover," George laughs in response.

"I wasn't!" You say in fake defence, "It's cute!"

"Well we should probably go in now instead of standing outside like idiots."

"Yep let's do that."

The two of you walk inside and are greeted by a lovely waitress who leads you over to a table for two by the window.

"Well you've been here before," you say picking up your menu. "What do you suggest?"

"The carbonara here is," He does a chefs kiss.

You smile at him, "carbonara it is."

"Oh my god George! I had no idea you'd be here!" You turn around to see a blonde girl standing behind you. Was that-

"Meli?" George says choking on his spit.

"Yeah I saw you through the window, I just had to say hello!" She grins.

"Uh-umm..." George stutters

"So, are you going to introduce me to..." She trails off.

"Oh yeah, this is my friend-"

"Y/N." You force a smile and stick a hand out to her, trying to ignore the sting in your heart from George calling you his friend. She looks at you awkwardly before quickly shaking it. You try not to be offended but you're starting to see why James and Alex don't like her.

"Well I see you haven't ordered yet so Y/N, do you think you could leave me and George, we need to talk. I'm sure you two can catch up later." Meli says, smiling at you with no self awareness for what she just said.

"What?" You ask whilst laughing, genuinely confused about whether she was joking or not.

"Why are you laughing?" She replies innocently.

"Me and George had plans I'm not just going to leave!"

She looks you up and down and scoffs. "Ah you're all dressed up, guess you thought this would be leading somewhere."

You open your mouth to reply but nothing comes out. Meli laughs.

"Speechless? Probably because you know you don't stand a chance." Meli says bluntly. You feel your eyes well up with tears as you silently pray that she won't notice.

"Meli shut the fuck up." George says defensively. Meli looks shocked but George keeps going. "You have no right to speak to Y/N like that you entitled bitch!" Meli looks down before speaking.

"Okay I've got the message," Meli laughs but you can hear her sadness. She turns around and leaves without saying goodbye.

"Well that was quite the introduction." George says sarcastically.

You were about to ask George about the friend comment but the kind waitress from earlier walks over to ask you your orders. After you both ordered the carbonara you decided not to ask George about what he'd meant by calling you his friend. After all that's all you technically were at the moment and you didn't want George to think you were asking too much and scare him off.

"I am genuinely sorry about that, Meli can be a bitch sometimes," George says.

"I figured." You reply, "why are you friends or whatever you are with her?" 

"I've known her pretty much my whole life. We've been through a lot together and I know she can be a bitch but she's important to me," He looks up to you and grins, "doesn't mean I can't call her out for being a shithead."

"Well I won't judge you for her, I understand if you're friends but I have a feeling that me and her aren't going to get along." You giggle slightly at the end, trying to keep the mood light.

"I mean you wouldn't be the only one, Alex and James can't stand her, they only tolerate her because she's friends with Emily and they like hanging out with her."

"Yeah I was wondering who she was."

Eventually the waitress brings over your food and George was right, it tasted amazing.

"So James is having party at his house tomorrow and I was wondering if you wanted to come?" George asks.

You feel the butterflies coming back. "Yes of course! Sounds fun"

If only you knew what would  happen at that party...