*Chapter Seventeen

"Y/N, I have something to tell you." Emily's words ripple in your eye as you reply.

"Have to tell me what?" You ask expectantly.

"It's about the person that's been messing with you." She takes a deep breath, "I know who it is."

"Well?"

"It's um... I'm sorry. I never wanted it to go this far". She pauses and you wait in silence. From the corner of your eyes you see George drop one of his pieces of toast on the floor.

"Shit!" He exclaims instinctively.

"Wait, is that George? is he there too?" She says, you glare at George.

"Umm he's-"

"It doesn't matter. It's Alex."

"Alex?" You ask, not believing her.

"Yes. It's him." She reaffirms, "100%"

"Okay..." You reply, trying to process what she just said.

"I promise, he told me. He did it because... because..." She trails off.

"Because?"

After a couple of seconds she replies, "because he's in love with George and... and he's jealous!"

"Wow." You say in disbelief. "That's a lot to take in, I'm gonna go. I'll call you back."

You hang up.

You and George share a confused look. After a bit George speaks.

"What the fuck?"

"My thoughts exactly."

"So it's definitely Emily."

"Yep." You say, feeling dejected. Despite the overwhelming evidence, you really didn't want it to be Emily.

"We should probably still check with Alex though."

"Yeah." You say as you snap out of your thoughts. "When we film? Tomorrow?"

"Sounds good." He smiles. "Anyway, I'm gonna head off and let you take a shower."

You laugh and give him a wave as he leaves.

Time skip

The next day you arrive at George's house, he lets you in and you immediately start recording after he puts his mask on.

"Ello guys, today we're going to be reacting to some TikTok POVs!" He says, "and I say we because I'm here with... (your youtube name)!"

"Because they definitely haven't seen that in the thumbnail." You reply sarcastically.

"Need I remind you that you're currently cancelled?"

You do an exaggerated, shocked expression which makes George laugh. "About that, I was gonna do a notes app apology but I think that would be a little bit too basic so I'll just explain myself now." You tell the camera.

"Wow just make it all about you," George laughs.

You jokingly roll your eyes. "Basically I got hacked." You shrug. You were definitely simplifying the situation but you'd rather not have the whole internet knowing your business - especially since they probably wouldn't believe you. "So yeah. Not much to say really, sorry I guess?"

"Very sincere." George replies, "also I'm not taking the mask off so that video is all you're gonna get." After that George showed you some random TikTok POVs that his editor had found. After about half an hour you'd finished filming.

George offered to make you some lunch so you were sat in the kitchen watching him struggle to cut a ham sandwich in half when you heard Alex enter the flat.

You look at George, "should we go talk to him?"

"Yep, although you're missing out on this awesome sandwich."

"Pretty sure I saw you use mouldy bread so I'll pass."

"Rude." George opens the door and the two of you walk into the living room to see Alex sitting on the sofa, scrolling through Instagram.

"Hey," he says when he hears you come in. He then looks up, his face shrivels up when sees you, "Y/N, you're here."

You smile at him awkwardly, "so I'm guessing George hasn't caught you up on everything yet?"

"Yeah sorry about that." George replies.

You sigh and start telling Alex everything that you'd figured out, including Emily's last phone call. After you finish you and George look at him expectantly.

"So let me get this straight, Emily says that I told her that I'm in love with George and decided to ruin your life?" He says to you. "What the fuck, that's obviously not true."

"Yeah we thought so." You say, "guess it's time to call Emily."

You pull your phone out of your pocket, "is it okay if I call her alone?" You ask, gesturing to George's bedroom.

"Yeah sure." George says softly as Alex nods.

You enter George's bedroom and press to call Emily.

"Hey Y/N! What's up?" She sounds nervous.

"You know what's up Emily. We both know it wasn't Alex." You try to sound assertive.

"Y/N whatever he told you it's not true!"

"Stop lying to me, just tell me the truth." You plead with her.

You hear a sniffle down the phone, is she crying?

"I'm so sorry." Her voice breaks. You wait for her to continue. "I'm so so sorry, I really am. I never meant for it to get this far." She's definitely crying now.

"Just say it." You say, wanting her to confirm it.

"I can't."

"Please." You hear your own voice crack.

"...It was me." Her voice is quiet. You slowly sit down on George's bed, not quite sure how to react. Emily had always been so nice to you, you hadn't really made any friends in London except for Lily and since almost all of George's friends were guys, you were excited to make a new girl friend. But she'd spent the last few weeks making your life a living hell.

"Y/N are you there?"

"I have to go." As soon as you hang up the phone you collapse back on the bed, feeling hot tears stream down your face.

Despite all of your conflicting thoughts, there was one thing you needed to know.

Why?