✩ BABY GURL ✩

FRANK GRUNTED ANGRILY to himself as he walked into work the next morning, on time for once mind you.

A small part of Frank wanted to smile, because not only had yesterday's trial been a fucking breeze, but he was the primary on his and Ray's case which was fucking sweet since that meant he could make all of the executive decisions. Which worked great for Frank since he didn't exactly enjoy having people tell him what to do, even though probably two-thirds of being a cop involved superiors giving you orders.

Frank could still remember when he worked a case with Mikey, who had made Frank do door duty, follow dead leads, and even just act as his intern half the time. It was a pain in Frank's ass, but at least his name showed up in the arrest report, which at the end of the day did put another classic, completely underwhelming smile on his face.

But he wasn't smiling, more smoldering if anything, because he was still angry at himself for what he had let happen at that pub the night before. Well, for what he had let happen to that innocent, incredibly pissed off stranger that Frank couldn't kick out of his subconscious.

It was borderline pathetic, for more than a few reasons. First, Frank hadn't even spoken a full coherent word to the guy, second, he had spilled soda all over him as if he wasn't a trained officer. And lastly, he hadn't even had the fucking decency to apologize or help him.

So when he walked into work, he wasn't even the slightest bit proud of himself for making it there alive and in one piece.

"On time today, detective." Hurley nodded at Frank who sat at his desk glumly. "Glad I got through to you."

Frank offered his own weak nod, feeling a bit like some high schooler caught skipping class. He honestly didn't need to be reminded that he hadn't been on time in a while, he wasn't a morning person but he was still aware of his fucking work hours. Though before he could really get into some self monologue about how fucking rude all of it was, his attention was brought to a loud wince coming from the break room.

He raised an eyebrow as he saw a very hungover Pete leaving the mostly empty break room with a mug of coffee and wrinkled uniform. Pete obviously still had to wear one since he was a beat cop, and by the looks of it, a miserable one at that.

Frank almost felt bad for him, especially since the coffee they had in the precinct tasted like piss, but the moment he remembered how Pete had challenged almost every damn cop in the bar last night to an arm wrestle and then proceeded to cry when Brendon nearly broke his damn wrist, made Frank feel like he deserved what he was getting.

"Hey, you ready? Crime techs already finished." Ray appeared next to him, this time his face a lot more cautious than usual, as if he were speaking to some bear that could rip his head off if he moved the wrong way. Though he did seem a bit pleased behind his worried expression, which was probably from the fact that Frank actually showed up at eight o'clock like he was supposed to.

"Yeah," Frank sighed, putting his thin coat over his white dress shirt, the letters NYPD covering the back of the jacket.

He put his sunglasses in his pocket and nodded at Ray, using the most minimal amount of body language to show he was ready.

Ray nodded at him, and on their way out, Frank couldn't help but notice the red can of Coca-cola sitting on Ryan's mostly neat desk. And Frank couldn't help the way it reminded him of a certain someone.

✩ ✩

Frank was in a rush.

Though fortunately for him and his integrity he wasn't in a rush to work, he was in a rush to pick Bob up from some stupid club opening he had been invited to. Bob may have been the epitome of a lazy motherfucker, but he was always more social and just more open minded than Frank could ever hope to be. Especially when they were in high school and college, before Frank went away to the academy. Bob was the one forcing Frank into house parties, or smoking weed -which for the record- was before Frank realized how much of a stickler he was and how much he liked telling people off for doing drugs.