✩ OPENED DOORS ✩

WHEN FRANK FINALLY made his way back into his own bedroom a few hours later, he could tell Gerard was still awake.

He could hear rustling every now and then from Bob's room and the occasional curse.

Frank wondered if Gerard was a fucking insomniac or something because even though Frank slept a majority of the day, he never really slept too much at night— but Gerard? Why the fuck was he still awake at 4am and why hadn't he even budged to turn off his lights?

Frank bit his lip harshly, feeling the soft tissue break under the pressure of his teeth. Was it Frank's job to check on him?

He could only assume. Frank was his unofficial boyfriend after all. But Frank was also a half hysteric twenty eight year old who couldn't even wish his own unofficial boyfriend goodnight.

But irrespective of that, five minutes later Frank found himself reaching for his cane, limping to the front of Bob's bedroom door as he knocked lightly on the door.

He opened it slightly when he didn't hear a response, his eyes immediately falling onto a startled Gerard.

He had his laptop open in his lap and he was sat cross-legged as he stared at Frank with both confusion and discomfort.

"Um, hi?" Gerard said, his voice velvety and thick from not speaking for a few hours.

Frank cleared his throat, "You... okay in here?"

Frank's voice was scratchy and barely detectable as his own, his eyes glancing up at Gerard's before looking back down at the carpet lining the ground.

"Uh, yeah... I'm fine, Frankie." Gerard said, his tone questioning as he slowly closed his laptop halfway, "Why'd you ask?"

Frank shrugged weakly, "Heard you were still awake."

Gerard let out a small laugh, the noise barely audible. "Yeah, I'm uh, still working on editing a few things for work tomorrow."

Frank's eyebrows furrowed as he continued to shift on his feet by the doorway, "But... aren't you one of those entrepreneurial photographers?"

Gerard laughed again, the same noise repeating itself. "Eh... I guess. But lately I've been editing photoshoots for shitty magazines."

Frank paused, "Why?"

"They pay well." Gerard answered quietly, "You can come in by the way... I won't bite."

Frank looked at him, for a moment before shakily sighing and walking into the room, taking a seat on the edge of Bob's bed, a foot away from Gerard.

Gerard smiled softly as he shut his laptop completely and moved it the side. He moved closer to Frank on the bed, making Frank raise an eyebrow.

"Why're you awake, Frankie?" Gerard asked, watching Frank closely.

Frank looked away, shrugging slightly as he shakily swallowed. He kept his gaze on a small figurine Bob kept on his windowsill, ignoring Gerard's staring eyes.

Gerard sighed when a few moments passed and Frank hadn't answered him.

"Okay," Gerard said in that same hurt tone as before, "Well, I've um, gotta finish this. So..."

Frank found himself nodding stiffly as he blinked quickly. But he didn't move, making Gerard only frown harder.

"Frank, c'mon if you're just going to—"