✩ "ROTTEN CAKE" EPIDEMIC ✩

not edited

SLEEP CAME LIKE the falling of an axe for Frank.

He knew it had to come but he fought it with everything he had. Those hours he had spent with Gerard, oblivious to his surroundings and thoughts had been enough to light up his whole body with fiery sparks. But at this point Frank was wired to stay awake until he couldn't fight it anymore and the sleep came over him as instantaneous as it was unwelcome.

He did have some warning though, when his thoughts became intertwined with random ideas, impossible ideas, he knew he had lost it all.

And somewhere deep down Frank had hoped his dreams would be filled with Twizzlers and kisses from Gerard and maybe papier-mâché zombies... but they weren't.

His dreams were somehow... worse. This time he hadn't just been forced to kill himself, he had been forced to kill his mother too.

It was horrible, torturous even. Sure he wasn't a fan of her but he didn't want to fucking kill her. Not in a dream and definitely not with his hands around her neck.

God, he had to be sick to dream about something like that.

Maybe he was. Maybe Frank was sick in the head.

Monday mornings were always a fucking struggle for Frank and his already quite fleeting motivation. And the only significant difference between this Monday morning and the rest were that this Monday morning... was his first Monday morning back at work.

And surprisingly, he wasn't dreading it like he usually did. Sure, Frank wasn't going in the field any time soon but he figured it would nice to jump back into the swing of things. Do his paperwork, buy disgustingly cheap food at the drugstore around the corner, watch Pete fumble around, and then go home.

He used to despise the schedule, but he actually found himself looking forward it that particular Monday morning.

Bob had, unfortunately, helped him get in and out of the shower, and now he was just putting his bag over his shoulder.

Bob was by the door, having purposely woken up earlier than usual to wish Frank luck or whatever.

"You take it easy, alright? I don't wanna see any new fucking injuries." Bob said sternly, though his serious expression broke a few seconds later as he pat Frank's back.

"But good luck, bud. Go... be a cop." Frank laughed a little at that and nodded weakly.

"Will do." He muttered, walking through the front door and to the elevator.

He wasn't really too worried about actually getting to work since Ryan had offered to drive him. And it honestly felt weird doing things on time, he hadn't really expected himself to be so used to the routine but he figured maybe his body had just been aching for purpose.

And for the first time, he didn't mind the ache.

The moment Frank walked out of the elevator to the precinct with Ryan, he was immediately enveloped in a thick wave of applause. He flinched and looked around, noticing the smiley cops all clapping their hands together as they stared at him, a banner tied sloppily and held up by Pete and Lindsey that read "Welcome Back" in black sharpie.

Frank's head was fogged over with surprise so he barely noticed Hurley coming up to pat his back with a polite smile.

"Welcome back, Detective." He said, and Frank could only nod with confused eyes.