✩ FUCKED... LITERALLY ✩

it honestly feels really weird writing this fic with what's happening right now seeing as this fic is somewhat police-oriented, but i really do want to say that this is FICTION... & i definitely don't want to associate or compare my portrayal of law enforcement in this to what's been happening in not just America but globally too
————————————————————

[this is actually one of my favourite chapters lmao]

SMUT WARNING
* i'll put "" at the start and end *

"YOU SHOULD BE really proud of yourself, man." Brendon said as everyone sat around in the break room, the remainder of their lunch break, as per usual, spent gossiping. Unfortunately for a certain sleep-deprived Frank.

Frank just nodded and continued poking at his cold pesto salad which he had bought conveniently in a drugstore before coming into work. Sure it tasted like shit, and the pesto was weirdly watery, but it only cost him three bucks so Frank had dubbed nutrition as an afterthought.

"Yeah," Ray agreed with a dopey smile, nudging Frank's shoulder, "I haven't gotten that many felonies in a month before."

Everyone seemed to stare at Frank as he just offered an awkward smile that looked more pained than grateful. Because when it boiled down to it, he didn't exactly know how to react to anything they were saying.

He didn't usually like public praise, though he could definitely get behind being praised in different ways- but getting thanked in the break room by his coworkers was definitely not the way Frank liked to be praised.

"We could celebrate tonight," Ryan suggested with a shrug, "You haven't been to a bar with us since last time."

"That was only five weeks ago, don't make it seem like it's been years." Frank said with an eye roll as he recoiled at the taste of the pasta. And Frank wasn't all that wrong either since Brendon's party had been moved to an Olive Garden after Ray intervened enough.

"Oh shut up, smartass," Brendon dismissed Frank entirely, "We could go down to Peggy's again?"

Everyone apart from Frank nodded, and unfortunately for Frank, Ray must have noticed.

He nudged him again, "C'mon, Frank. I promise I won't let you be an asshole to any cute guys tonight."

Frank glared at Ray who was smiling innocently, and although very fucking reluctant to the idea, he found himself agreeing. It wasn't as if he would have been able to get out of this anyway.

✩ ✩

"I'll buy the next round!" Brendon called out, a few cheers erupting between them.

Frank smiled weakly to himself, shifting next to an already very tipsy Pete. He probably got the worst seat in the booth, especially with Pete constantly leaning everywhere and laughing, and unfortunately for Frank, burping in his ear.

"I think I'm the best cop here." Pete slurred, making Frank raise an eyebrow.

Frank supposed that Drunk Pete wasn't really as sharp as sober Pete was, because it wasn't really a secret that he wasn't even a proper detective, he was a beat cop, so naturally Frank had to assume this was the vodka talking and not Pete himself.