✩ REASONLESS ✩

not edited i'm sorry

"SO, YOU GOT an actual name, detective, or should I just keep mentally calling you dipshit?" Gerard asked as him and Frank rushed down the street, both trying to make it to the coffeehouse Gerard had mentioned without getting totally drenched. Or in Frank's case, without getting his socks wet.

"It's Frank." Frank muttered quietly, feeling more than just out of comfort zone as he dragged along his prized beer in one hand as they legged it down the road.

Gerard laughed, making Frank resist the urge to spit an insult at him, which was usually his go to mind you. Or to maybe even point out that Gerard's own name wasn't such a gem. Well, maybe somewhere deep in Frank's subconcious it was, but he didn't need to give Gerard the satisfaction of knowing that.

"What?" Frank asked instead, keeping his tone sharp because they might have been getting coffee but that didn't change Frank's opinion on him. He was still a brat, and Frank swore to himself he was only coming along for the chance of free coffee and getting out of the rain.

Not to actually be in the company of Gerard.

"Nothing," Gerard laughed again, the sound high pitched and almost cute if Frank relaxed his mind hard enough, "Just think it's funny."

"What's so funny about it, shithead?" Frank was losing his patience, already considering leaving Gerard and his bratty be, because this was fucking ridiculous.

"Not funny funny, asshole," Gerard rolled his eyes, opening the door for Frank to walk through as they finally arrived at the coffeehouse.

"Cute funny." Gerard said, looking over to give Frank a small, mostly genuine smile.

Frank looked at Gerard with a shocked stare. It felt like someone had suddenly turned on an internal heater inside his system as his skin slowly turned from a ghastly white, from the cold, to a shade of a ripe strawberry. The warmth soon bloomed into a full blown, sweltering heat wave bursting through his pores as he watched Gerard laugh again.

He had never heard anyone describe his name as cute funny. He'd gotten, crude, overused but never cute in any sense of the word.

And it made Frank feel more embarrassed than anything. Because he wasn't cute— he was a grown man, he didn't want to be cute. If anyone was cute between the two -which Frank swore was simply hypothetical and circumstantial- it would be Gerard, not him.

Frank didn't answer Gerard's comment, instead walked grudgingly to the short cue in front of the small counter.

The warm aroma of everything was really throwing Frank off, he didn't like it, not at fucking all. And yet as he caught sight of a nosy and very fucking bratty Gerard looking over the menu mounted on the wall, a small part of him didn't mind.

A very small part though.

"Just black coffee." Frank said, keeping his gaze down as he ordered once him and Gerard were at the front of the line.

"Please." He added after a few seconds. Damn his mother and her need to force-feed him manners.

"Boring." Gerard muttered to himself, making Frank glare at him.

"I'll have a hazelnut cappuccino." He said, and the barista -who was a man in his early twenties- nodded kindly.

Gerard and Frank paid for their individual orders, Frank not even remotely offering to pay for Gerard's.

"So what's the story with you and the beer?" Gerard asked as they waited towards the side of the counter, Gerard having glanced down at the stupid fucking crate Frank was still holding.