✩ ICE, ICE, BABY ✩

FRANK, FOR THE first time in a while, felt proud of himself.

He had made it, he made managed to not just get up by himself- but use his crutches to walk to the kitchen.

Sure, he had maybe fallen over and banged his cast against his desk and dropped a small figurine Ray had given him a few years ago, but that almost felt like a minuscule price to pay for the success of being able to gain just a bit of independence. He was on the right road, the road back to normality and living the way he used to.

The hope of knowing he would soon be able to return back to work and take care of himself spread across his skin like dew on spring grass. Frank could practically feel it in his blood. If formed such perfect spheres, each one like a tiny world of its own.

Frank had previously built so many brick walls around himself, keeping them as his cocoon for the years he needed their sanctuary so he never really felt that kind of hope. And he supposed he thanked them irrespective of that. Hell, he could practically see them, his eyes wandering their rugged clay surface, their rosy color bright yet earthen. Though the walls blocked out the warmth of the sun that always threatened to elevate his spirits, it had always made sure he was safe. But maybe a part of Frank didn't need them anymore. He was ready to live without that safety net.

And at that moment he swore he could feel the sunlight. He could feel... self forgiveness, almost.

Though soon Frank entered the kitchen and Bob was by the stove as usual. He had left Frank his pain medication on the counter like he usually did, and he hadn't really bothered turning around until he heard shuffling coming from Frank's untrained feet. They felt weak and limp, but Frank was doing it- he was doing it all by himself.

"Hey, wheel-boy. I made scrambled e—" Bob stopped ad he turned around, finally taking notice of Frank's elevated height and the crutches tucked under his arms.

Then he smiled.

Though wasn't the kind of smile Frank's co-workers wore when they saw him and his wheelchair, it was the kind of smile a mother bestowed on her child when they helped pick up a friend who had fallen. It was not a smile that belonged on Bob's usually sour face.

Frank could practically feel the warm glow of his happiness, "Well, would you look at that!"

Frank kept his proud smile stretched across his lips as he nodded as if to silently answer his unasked questions.

"Did you get up by yourself too?" Bob asked, and Frank suppressed another smile to instead give him a funny look.

"No, some guy named Casper came in and gave me a hand." Frank rolled his eyes, and Bob just chuckled at him as he focused back on cooking.

"How many weeks you got until you're going back to work?" Bob asked after a while, getting two plates from the cabinets.

Frank took a seat on his usual stool, setting his crutches beside him as he leaned his head on his palm, "Dr Pelissier's only clearing me after my right leg's healed."

Frank glanced down at his leg that wasn't wrapped up in a cast, his eyes glaring at the black sweatpants covering the tidy wrapping.

"Almost back to being a pain-in-the-ass cop, aren't ya?" Bob asked playfully as he set down the plate of eggs in front of Frank.

Frank bitterly smiled at him and tucked into his breakfast, "Thanks. Great take on the guy who pays a majority of the rent."

"Psh, careful swinging that fifty-two percent dick around, especially this early in the morning." Bob muttered, and he was weirdly quiet for a few minutes while Frank ate.