[3]

"You have your snacks and money?"

I smile, pulling on a jacket before I sling on my mini-backpack that Ana-Maria made sure to stuff with necessities.

"Yes I do" I respond lightly, slipping my phone into my back pocket. She follows me to the door, opening it for me.

"How about your knives, did you make sure to pack those? A woman can't leave without her knives" she continues in a motherly tone that makes me laugh.

"I did, Ana, don't worry" I answer, shaking my head at the woman with a smile.

"Be safe out there, you are a beautiful young woman." She warns. I offer her one more smile before stepping outside.

"I will"

I turn and walk down the driveway, taking the sidewalk and beginning to walk towards the town.

"Are you sure you don't want to take the car, Dawn?" Ana calls out. I pause, turning to face her.

"No thanks, I like to walk" I call back before turning and continuing my walk down the sidewalk. I pass house after house, finally turning off the residential street and onto the road leading to the heart of the city. It's only a matter of minutes before I've stumbled upon a hub of activity, what with people milling about and street-side markets selling wares along the sidewalk. I pause where I stand, twirling slightly to take in my surroundings.

It's absolutely breathtaking.

I smile, choosing to walk across the street and to a nearby outdoor market. My eyes flit over the produce and freshly caught seafood presented all around. As I walk past booth after booth, I make sure to subtly glance around at the people I pass. Although I could enjoy the beauty of Bucharest all day, I'm here to find and carry out my mission.

I'm here to find Bucky Barnes.

After hanging around the market for half an hour I decide to move on to another block, hoping that maybe I'll find the man I'm searching for there. As I walk, I make sure to keep track of the streets I take to ensure I can find my way back to Ana-Maria's house when day turns to night. As natives walk past, I smile and nod at them to be friendly, knowing full well that I won't be able to communicate with them unless they know English.

"This is going to be harder than I thought" I mumble underneath my breath as I find yet another block void of Barnes.

He has to be here somewhere, and I don't give up easy.

As I begin walking again, a store keeper calls out to me from a tiny shop nestled into a street corner.

"American, right?"

I look over, pleasantly surprised.

"I am," I answer, walking over so that I stand before him outside his shop that seems to be filled with desserts of all kinds, "This is a lovely shop you have"

He nods, exuding pride in his workmanship. He steps inside abruptly, causing me to raise an eyebrow in his direction. Nonetheless, I follow him inside. Immediately wonderful smells swirl through the air, the warmth of the bakery hugging me.

"Come, buy something. A pretty woman like you deserves to treat herself" the man calls as he walks behind his counter. Apprehension pits in my stomach, the new uneasiness I have grown to come accustomed to in the past five years settling on me once again.

"That's alright, I actually should probably be going" I state politely, moving to walk away. I see the man's face fall.

"Did I offend you? I did not mean to, I'm sorry" he apologizes. I feel a twinge of guilt build in my heart. I look between the open door and him, sighing before I walk nearer to him.