40

I always thought it was a myth that fireworks could erupt in a person's stomach in a kiss.

I know now that the myth is totally and completely true.

The moment Bucky's lips press against mine, the fireworks begin. Sparks radiate through my entire body, warming every fiber of my being. The shock from the spontaneous action wears off quickly and I kiss him back, my heart skipping every other beat and my stomach erupting with the force of a thousand fireworks. When we finally pull apart, I look up at the soldier in complete shock.

"If you couldn't tell, I love you too" Bucky whispers.

I feel my breath squeeze from my lungs and a breathtaking smile spreads onto my face.

He loves me. Bucky Barnes loves me.

I feel like doing a million cartwheels and jumping up and down until my adrenaline flees my body, but instead I keep my composure. Before I can respond in any way, a furious voice pierces through the air.

"You can't hide from us! You don't deserve love!"

When I turn towards the grating voice, I see the doctor held on either side by Tony and Steve. His body writhes to be free like an eel in water and his gaze spells only murder, but for the first time, I'm not afraid of him.

"I'm done being scared of you" I state.

His face contorts into a sort of grimace as Clayton tears back and spits at me with all of the force he can muster. Bucky steps slightly in front of me, and I can tell he is ready to pummel the man senseless.

"You beat her like you did and then you have the audacity to spit at her in front of me?" Bucky grits, taking a threatening step towards the doctor.

As much as the protectiveness within him warms me, I step forward and grab his metal arm gently. I pull back slightly, causing the soldier to pause and turn to me. The deep wells of his eyes hold the want for blood, for justice, but I'm done letting vengeance take over any more of us.

"It's alright," I state, giving him a small smile, "He's not worth it"

And just like that, the anger melts from his face. He breaks our charges stare to glance back at the Doctor being with strained by the two Avengers.

"I'll be back!" Clayton shouts as he's gripped tighter by Tony and Steve, the phrase eerily sounding like one of those lines a villain would proclaim at the end of a story.

"Sure you will, Doctor Crazy" Tony states, reaching around with his free, iron-clad hand and slamming it into the side of the doctor's head. His body immediately slumps with unconsciousness and I have to stifle back a laugh at the look on Cap's face.

"Really? You had to punch him?" Steve questions, disapproval dripping through him. Tony just shrugs.

"He was getting annoying" he states simply.

While the two bicker, I feel a gentle hand begin to run over the injuries littering my skin. I take in a breath at the contact and look over to see Bucky's brows furrowed as his eyes rake over my physical state.

"I should've been here earlier" he states, his jaw clenched slightly. I sigh, placing one of my hands on his jaw to turn his face to meet mine.

"The fact that you came at all is enough" I respond.

Our eyes remain locked for a moment, the wells of pain and guilt drawing through his gaze. When he brings his eyes to the welt growing on my cheek left by his fist, I know his guilt is only manifested. As I scourge my mind for a way to prove to him it matters nothing to me, a way to take his mind away, I come up with only a single solution. I keep my hand on his cheek and bring the other behind his neck. Then, slowly, I bring my lips to his.