30

"Dawn!"

I cough, dragging myself away from the flames and taking in gulps of clean air into my lungs. Once I'm a reasonable distance away, I roll into my back with a groan. The ringing quickly fades away, leaving my hearing clear. I send my mask retreating into my suit to facilitate my breaths just as two figures appear over my body.

"I'm so sorry, I thought it was a water truck!" Scott blurts out, both of them holding a hand out to me. I grab each with one arm, letting them pull me to my feet. I nod in understanding, stumbling slightly as I try to regain my footing.

"Next time," I manage out, rolling my shoulders to ease the soreness, "Give me a heads up"

"Is everyone okay?" Sam asks through the comm, bringing my attention back to their call for help.

"Yup, I'm on my way guys" I call back, nodding to the two men before me before jogging off towards the terminal.

"Why'd you yell out Dawn's name then?" Bucky asks next.

"I might've exploded a truck in her face" Scott answers hesitantly.

"You what?" The two men cry out at the same time. I push through the glass doors to the building, my eyes searching over the clear barriers of the upper floor I'm on to find Sam and Bucky.

"It was an accident, I'm fine!" I assure, spotting the two men webbed to the floor not too far in front of me. I vault myself over the ledge of the upper floor, landing deftly and easily onto the bottom floor before jogging up to the two. Immediately, amusement pours through me as I witness the two struggling to get out of the webs of the kid from before.

"Did you-" I begin, but Bucky cuts me off.

"Not a word"

I giggle, pulling out a knife and dropping down between the two. I immediately begin to cut the two free, making sure not to knick their skin with the poisoned blade. I begin with Sam, making one clean slit down the front of the webbing.

"By a kid, too" I observe, not being able to help myself.

"Shut up" Sam mutters, slapping the back of my head. I can't help but laugh again, finding how two grown men were so easily taken down by a teenager.

That kid's got heart. He's going to do some pretty amazing things in his life, I can just feel it.

I lean over Bucky's body, reaching for his metal arm and working my mind to cut the webbing from it.

"I would've payed to watch that go down. I mean, you had him outnumbered and everyth-" my playful taunts are turned into surprised squeal as Bucky uses his now free hand and my compromised position over him to help flip me over and pin me to the ground.

I can't help the soft laughter that bubbles from me, knowing I've managed to unnerve the both of them. As his hands hold my wrists to the ground, I look up to see his blue eyes gleaming mischievously down at me. A slight smirk plays at his lips, and the whole situation makes my breath hitch. It makes it hard to breathe whenever I think of how painfully gorgeous Bucky Barnes is.

"I'm not the one who let a truck explode in her face" he taunts. I laugh softly, watching his smug smirk turn into a crooked smile.

"Touché" I respond, trying to slow down my jump-roping heart. The world seems to slow for a moment as his eyes meet mine, and the thought hits me that I could spend the rest of my life looking only at the blue of his eyes and never be unhappy. His smile drops slowly, mine quickly following suit. I feel my pulse hike painfully from the proximity.

"Dawn, I-"

He's cut off by a loud voice sounding in our comm.

"Everyone to the hangar! We've got an open path" Steve calls out. The moment dissolves and Bucky shoots to his feet, offering me a hand. I grab on, letting him pull me to my feet. Once he does, we both break out sprinting. Once we've broken through the doors and onto the main level, Sam, who was waiting just outside, joins us.