24

My mother always told me that being brave sometimes meant admitting you were scared.

She said it practically every day, searing the principle into my mind. The older I got, the more I would laugh and brush her off when she said it. Now, I'd give anything just to have her sit before me and say it one more time.

Because right now, I'm terrified.

My foot bounces underneath the table as I watch Bucky be interrogated by a psychiatrist. I can't really describe the origins of my fear, but what I do know is that seeing him in those restraints with his life hanging in the balance scares me more than anything has in a while.

"Hello Mr. Barnes. I've been sent by the United Nations to evaluate you," A man greets, entering the feed of Bucky's cell, "Do you mind if I sit?"

I stand up so that I can view the screen better, watching as Bucky keeps his head laid back in the seat.

He says nothing.

"I'm not here to judge you, I just want to ask you a few questions" the man states, his voice heavily accented. My heart races in my chest as I watch Bucky continue to ignore him.

"Do you know where you are, James? I can't help you if you don't talk to me, James" the man pushes.

"My name's Bucky" he finally responds, his voice low. The corner of my mouth twitches into the ghost of a smile, gone as soon as it's come.

Their conversation continues, Bucky's answers short and the man's remarks long. Something in the camera feed catches my eye, though. I furrow my brows, squinting my eyes to get a better look at the tablet the man has sitting on his table. I watch a message pop up on the screen.

'Package Delivered'

"Package delivered..." I repeat, trying to make sense of the phrase. What could be so pertinent at the moment that requires this psychiatrist to receive an alert when it's been delivered. My eyes widen, realization breaking upon me. You'd only frame someone if you wanted to ensure they're found, and the perfect way to get to them is to rig the encounter.

This is a trap.

Only seconds later the power cuts out, effectively cutting off the camera feed from the room. My mouth opens slightly, my body stiffening. I turn quickly, peering through the glass of the office walls to see Steve and Sam holding the same look of alarm as me. I watch the blonde agent Fury told me was named Sharon mumble something to them.

Then they take off running.

I immediately follow, pushing out of the office and sprinting after them. The two purposefully slow down to let me catch up before the three of us speed off together.

"It's a trap, the whole thing was rigged to get Bucky here" I state as we run into a stairwell. I stay a little behind them, letting them lead the way.

"We just figured out the same thing" Sam informs as we jump flights to move faster.

"What could that man want with him?" Steve inquires, my body pumping with adrenaline. We stop once we reach Sub-level 5, standing just outside the entrance door. I freeze when the answer slams into me, sending a pang of cool anxiety through my stomach. It must hit the two boys as well, because we all share the same look of pure dread.

"He's going to unleash the Winter Soldier"

•••••
Bucky Barnes

My heart rate spikes when the lights go out.

I clench my fists in their restraints, looking around until I turn my attention back to the calm and collected man before me.

"What the hell is this?" I ask, my voice wary and tired.