[4]

Bucky Barnes' apartment is his safe haven.

After running into the soldier and clocking his habits, I began to fall into a routine. I would wake early in the morning, go for a beautiful run through the city, then follow Bucky on his daily schedule after going home and cleaning up. After four days of this, I realized where he felt safest.

Every day, he spends most of his time in his apartment.

This observation didn't take long to develop. It quickly alerted me that either he's trying to hide something or hide from someone. Whenever he is out, he seems like a normal guy. Even though he does seem a bit more emotionally closed off than other people, I was expecting that anyways. The true test of whether or not Bucky Barnes is the Winter Soldier or himself can be found out only through observing him in his apartment.

•••••

"You're doing what?"

"I'm going to sneak into his apartment when he's out and place a few cameras," I answer, laying out the minuscule cameras I had packed for this very reason, "It's the best way to observe him and see whether or not he's a threat and whether or not he's innocent"

Ana-Maria sighs exasperatedly and jabs a finger in my direction.

"This isn't safe for you to do, Dawn. That man has murdered countless people!" She scolds. I look up to the woman, observing her concerned countenance.

"Safe isn't in my job description. Besides, this is the only way for me to find out whether the man who I'm observing is the same man who killed those people" I reason, trying to convince the woman of the importance of this.

"How could he not be?" She exclaims. Frustration begins to settle within me. I understand she's concerned for me, but this is vital to my mission.

"We have reason to believe it's not," I fire back, settling my hands on my hips, "And I refuse to condemn an innocent man, one who could possibly do some pretty incredible things for this world"

This silences her. She sighs, looking down and shaking her head. She knows that nothing she says will sway me from this.

"I refuse to" I whisper. She looks back up to me, her blue eyes sparkling.

"You've got a good heart, Dawn. Just," she pauses, taking a deep breath, "Please be safe. I can't lose someone else"

My eyes soften and I walk up, pulling the woman into a hug.

"He'll be gone, he won't even know I've been there. You won't lose anyone else, not while I'm here" I assure, allowing the woman to hold me tighter. Intrigue floods through my system at her words and I can't help but wonder who all she's lost.

"I'll be back for dinner, I promise" I answer finally. She nods and quickly turns away.

"Are you going to wear your suit?" She asks, busying herself with wiping down the counter.

"Not today, wearing something normal would hide me a little more. I don't want to draw attention to myself" I answer, putting all of the cameras from the kitchen table into my bag. I sling it over my shoulder and cast a glance towards the woman. I smile softly at her back, knowing I've managed to gain something I haven't had in a while.

Family.

"I'll see you later, Ana-Maria" I announce, opening the front door.

"Bye dear,"

With that, I walk out of the front door and begin walking in the direction of Bucky's apartment. As I do, I pull the black material of my jacket closer in the slightly brisk wind, my hair pulled into a low ponytail. The breeze blows the front strands that have escaped from the style gently, making them dance carefully around my face. It's only a matter of minutes before I arrive at the front of the complex. I look down at my phone, checking the time.