[7]

"That should take care of everything"

Bucky and I stand in front of his apartment complex, already done transporting the bodies away and taking down my cameras. The shadows of night allow us to stand in the open without fear of being seen.

"By the way," Bucky begins, scratching the back of his head, "Thanks for helping me out. You saved my life"

I freeze, shock coursing through me.

"Did you just...thank me?" I announce, looking at him with wide eyes, "I can't believe it"

He laughs slightly, pointing a finger at me.

"I'll take it back" he warns. I laugh softly, holding my hands up in surrender.

"Okay, okay. You're welcome," I state, blowing out a sigh, "So, who do you think they were?"

Bucky brings a hand through his dark hair, taking a moment to think.

"They definitely weren't government-issued, but I think that they were a part of a small Hydra branch that survived," he answers. His words hit me and I nod, knowing this is serious.

A small seed of fear settles into my stomach as I even think of Hydra knowing that I'm here. If Doctor Clayton ever found me, I don't want to imagine what he'd do.

"Obviously this branch isn't one to worry much about," he continues, crossing his arms over his chest, "They were sloppy and didn't seem to have much of a plan in mind"

Even though I agree, his words do little to reassure me that a larger attack from Hydra is imminent. When it comes to him, they probably couldn't care less about me. In fact, any Hydra official would kill me in a heartbeat just to have the Winter Soldier back under their control. I still want to know, though, just how they trigger him to switch into the cold, unfeeling assassin the world quickly came to know.

"Watch out for others, though. Where there's a small one, a larger one's bound to be looming nearby" I warn, pulling the sleeves of my suit down a little around my hands. The cold of the night is beginning to reach me and I want nothing more than to go home and sleep until tomorrow afternoon.

"I will." Bucky states, nodding to me. I nod back, realizing that it's about time I go.

"I just have one more question," I announce, the curiosity killing me, "Steve Rogers, do you remember him?"

Bucky freezes, his jaw ticking. His eyes burn, plagued with confusion.

"I don't know" he answers simply. I nod once, knowing he tells the truth. I turn to leave, taking only a few steps into the night when he calls out to me.

"Dawn?"

I pause, turning around to face the soldier. His face is serious, almost intimidating.

"I'm serious, I don't need your help. Go home" he informs. I just stare at him, not wanting to argue but not also not wanting to make any promises that I can't keep to him.

"Good luck, Bucky" I say instead, turning and walking away.

If I've learned anything in the past day, it's that even the most invincible of people need help. So, as I turn the corner and break into a jog home, I decide to disregard his orders. I'm too determined to complete this mission to give up now. Besides, this could be my chance to finally do something besides the covert missions and long periods of normal life where I'm not allowed to grow close to anyone or anything.

I'm tired of being alone and sitting around while the world needs help.

The night is dark, the stars twinkling softly in the sky. The cold breeze rustles my hair as I jog, tickling my cheeks and making my eyes water. A smile grows on my face as I run the increasingly familiar streets.