34

Dawn Beckett

"There's two heat signatures just past this door"

Tony turns to me, his iron-clad head nodding at my observation. I keep my eyes glued to the large metal door before me, the one that separates Tony and I from the interior of HYDRA's Siberian facility.

"Prepare yourself, it could be them or it could not be" he warns. I take in a deep breath, the mask of my suit already up.

My heart races within my chest, the thought of seeing Bucky again after the conversation Tony and I had almost tripling my already humming nerves. Beyond everything, though, my mind wanders back to Dean. I've only just figured out that he's alive, and I can't afford to lose him just like that. Somehow, when this is all over, I'll find him.

Because I have to.

"Let's blow this popsicle stand" Tony mutters before reaching out and prying open the metal doors.

The smallest breeze passes through the opening as Tony steps through it. I step up to his side, my heart nearly stopping when I see Steve and Bucky braced for a fight. Just as Tony allows his helmet to recede into his suit, I let my mask do the same. The gun that Bucky grips onto tightly lowers slightly, his eyes flickering over to me and lingering. Confusion draws within his swirling pools of blue as he glances between Tony and I.

"You seem a little defensive," Tony states, his dry humor not resonating well. Steve, with his shield raised, and Tony walk towards each other hesitantly.

"It's been a long day," Steve reasons. Tony glances up at Bucky, who keeps his gun steadily aimed at Tony.

"At ease, soldier. I brought you a peace offering" Tony calls out, gesturing towards me. I offer Bucky a small smile.

"Hey, Buck" I greet, hoping that the two best friends before me will relax. Finally, with his eyes locked on me, he lowers his gun and gives me a half smile.

"Hey, Dawn. It's good to see you're not in a cell" Bucky responds. I chuckle lightly, looking over to Tony.

"That's all on him," I inform, nodding my thanks towards the Avenger. He nods back stiffly before glancing at the two men who still eye him warily.

"Why are you here?" Steve grits out, taking one more wary step with his shield raised.

"Maybe your story's not so crazy. Maybe." Tony concedes, which is the closest to an apology he will ever get to.

"Ross has no idea we're here, and I'd like to keep it that way," he continues, leaning against a nearby pillar as if he hasn't a care in the world, "Otherwise I'd have to arrest myself and send her back, which would be pretty awkward"

"Well that sounds like a lot of paperwork" Steve finally responds, standing and lowering his star-spangled shield, "It's good to see you, Tony. You too, Dawn"

"You too, Cap" Tony remarks, looking up to Bucky who still glares fiercely at Tony.

"Manchurian Candidate, will you please cool it? Can't you see there's a truce here?" He barks out. I have to bite my lip to hide the laughter that threatens to spill from my mouth.

"Well then, we've got a squad of death soldiers to take out" I chirp, looking between the three men, "Let's get to it"

"Are you always this peppy, Blondie?" Tony ponders as we all begin to walk together, Steve pulling ahead to lead us. We climb the stairs that leads to the upper level of the facility, bodies at the ready for whatever may be around the corner.

"Yup" Bucky responds before I can. I scoff and shove him slightly, watching a ghost of a smile play on his lips.

"You know you love me," I taunt, turning my gaze from him and back ahead of me. What I don't notice is the way his eyes linger on me, a hint of seriousness welled within them.