5. L U C Y

The audacity that man had to speak to me like that. I'm perfectly aware of the risk we took by not using protection, believe it or not I was also worried, but he did not need to throw me out the way he did.

Maybe it was less stressful for me as I knew I was on contraception, when he didn't know that. He still had no rights to treat me like dirt. Like a tiny molecule that's not relevant in the world.

Standing outside his huge house, I realised I didn't know where I was. It was a private street with other huge houses opposite, gardens perfectly landscaped, large black gates blocking anyone from reaching the driveway, and windows that seemed to never end. It was a beautiful neighbourhood - something I was not acquainted to.

Being a doctor pays well, but not this well. Especially when there's only one income. Without a partner, I could only mortgage a home based on my income. I had a nice place, but no where near as luxurious as this. This was every little girl's fairytale: the princess palace, money to buy all the pretty dresses in the world, a maid to cook and clean for you, and pretty diamonds to keep you sparkly like fairy dust. That was my dream as a little girl.

Along with a husband who loved me dearly, and treated me like the princess I was. A love I had never experienced as a child from my own parents. Being an only child may sometimes be interpreted as a lonely child; that's how I defined myself. Without siblings, and two parents that were never interested in you, it got quite lonely. When I was little I would consider myself as 'bored'. I'd watch through the window as all the other children would have the opportunity to visit the park, or walk their pets, maybe even just spend time with their parents, but I didn't have that. My parents both left me when I was seven.

At aged seven you're in year two, KS1, small, still trying to spell, phonics lessons, working on your writing, and learning awful and difficult things in mathematics.
You are also a child. A child that should never have to feel sad, lonely, bored, or unloved. Neglect is a form of abuse. Unfortunately, in this context, feeling neglected and being neglected are two different things; so my parents were allowed to leave and make me feel like that. There's no law saying 'you've made your child feel lonely so you should be arrested' - maybe there's guidelines for things you shouldn't do that could cause that, but leaving your child in the sole care of a grandparent apparently doesn't come under it.

So yeah, my parents left when I was seven because they just didn't want me anymore? Grandma used to say that wasn't the reason, but grandparents would say that. It's their job to protect their children as well as their grandchildren. So by saying that, she was protecting my mother, ensuring I didn't hate her. However, I did. If my parents showed up on the doorstep of my house, I'd open the door just to shut it in their face. After all the time's I cried, screamed, sat thinking about what I did wrong, and trying to get on with my life without any parents - through my teenage years and my twenties, I would not want to see them again. All my friends had parents to throw them sweet sixteens, or parties for their eighteenth and twenty first, but I never had that. Especially once I hit eighteen. I was an adult you could say, so why give my grandma the grief of a hormonal teenager? But I didn't even get the chance to, she passed away the Christmas after my birthday. I've been alone up until I met my best friend Avery at university, and I've never been so thankful for a human being in my entire life.

So, anyhow, I need to find my way home. I pulled my phone out to call a taxi, but I didn't know my location. Maybe there was a sign somewhere? I began stumbling down the road searching for a sign or clue as to where I was.

Twenty minutes later

I had been walking down a posh, luxury neighbourhood in the tiniest dress and high heels for twenty minutes. I looked like Vivienne from pretty woman when she steps into the Beverly Wilshire. Maybe you could even call me Vivienne after last night. I felt like a prostitute doing the walk of shame around Bax' neighbourhood.