22. L U C Y

Five weeks passed:

After Bax dropped me at Averys that evening after work, I haven't seen him. I haven't accidentally bumped into him at the hospital for any checkups, I haven't seen him anywhere in the street or when I went for a drink with Avery, and he hasn't showed up unexpected to check on me. I am a little disappointed in the latter, I thought he might care for his baby enough to check everything was okay. Then again, he knows I'll contact him if anything isn't okay.

Avery told me it was a good thing. She said it gives me chance to forget about him. Five weeks sounds like a long time, but when you're trying to move on from a broken heart, it's not. Five weeks in 'broken heart time'- as I call it - is like five hours. The ache is still there. She also suggested I try dating. Who is going to date a pregnant, single mother? I highly doubt anyone wants that type of baggage. Nevertheless, she set me up on a dating website - without my permission - and organised a date for me. Surprisingly, the guy didn't mind I was having a baby but it still didn't make me any more excited for the date. I get more excited when I hang the washing out.

So, right now, she was currently dolling me up for 'the best date of my life' as she called it.

"I think this dress." She spun around, standing in front of the wardrobe, with an orange, spaghetti strap, smock dress. It was pretty and wasn't too short, so I will definitely feel comfortable in it. I honestly didn't care though as long as it wasn't too revealing, I'd probably not see the guy again.

"Can you at least look excited?" She whined, before groaning.

I didn't have to look in the mirror to see my face, I could feel myself frowning. I felt bad, but she had to understand this wasn't something I was intrigued about.

"I'm sorry, but I just don't see the point in this." I shrugged, before slumping down into my blue dressing table chair.

She walked over to me, dress draped over her forearm, and a sympathetic look on her face. Was she finally realising?

"Look I get it." She squeezed my shoulder. "But this will be good for you, if you don't like him then that's fine, but at least try." She paused, a desperate expression on her face then, she started begging. "Pleeeeaaase."

I rolled my eyes, and gave in.

"Whatever, just hurry up we have half an hour." I moaned, then turned around to face the mirror so she could sort my hair.

"So, the dress?" She had a hopeful look on her face, it's like she was holding her breath ready to shout in ecstasy if I said yes.

So I nodded. The dress was pretty so at least, even though I didn't want to be there, I will feel good about myself.

"Now then, let's sort this mop...."

Half an hour later she'd curled my hair into loose waves, dressed me, and finished my makeup.

"You look so cute, in a pretty way obviously." She beamed as she gazed at me from across the room.

I did look pretty, for once I felt I could say that about myself.

Then a dangerous thought swooped into my head, and I frowned. All I could think about was Bax, how would he think I looked? Would he like me in this dress? But that wasn't relevant. I couldn't think like that about him anymore, he was in my past. A lone tear slid down my left cheek, cutting a line in my makeup.