42. B A X

As the next few weeks passed by, me and Lucy built our relationship back up. Small memories had came back, but none that made drastic changes. It still ripped at my insides that she couldn't remember, but we were starting to feel like normal again.

There was just one thing I wanted to do. I'd been thinking about it for a while before the accident, and I was thinking about it more now that I wasn't sure if it was right. We'd just got back on track, if I did this it could set her back. It could scare her away and make her feel I'm rushing her. Yet, as I stood in front of the jewellery shop, I couldn't help noticing a beautiful silver ring that would look beautiful against Lucy's complexion.

She was spending the day with Avery at a spa, a day I'd booked and payed for the both of them so she could unwind and relax. I had Angel beside me in her pram. I looked over and saw her staring at me. "Do you also think it's a bad idea, Angel?" A small noise escaped and she smiled. "No? You think I should make your mommy my wife? Make her mine? Put you in a pretty little dress?" I like all those ideas too, but whether Lucy will is another story. I didn't know what to do. But as I kept looking at this particular ring, I couldn't stop gravity pulling me towards the door.

"Merry Christmas! How may I help you today?" A bright redhead exclaimed as I walked in. Angels whine that followed told me she was also struck by the outspoken and bright woman. Yep baby, she's a little loud.

"I'd like to purchase an engagement ring. The one at the bottom in the middle to be precise." I pointed to the shelf and she nodded enthusiastically.

"Of course! Congratulations! And I hope she says yes." She was joking around, but she had no idea how much I wished that too. This wasn't a simple, 'ask your girlfriend of two years who definitely is in love with you, to marry you'. I had a ten percent chance, but I was willing to take that ten percent because I loved her way too much to keep seeing her without a ring on her finger.

"Are you aware of which size you may need?"

I nodded, this was something I'd managed to do. I'd explained to Avery my plans, who was also a little hesitant, but she insisted on helping nevertheless. And then she'd miraculously found out the size from Lucy. I made her promise not to tell the reason as I might not even do it yet. I might chicken out if I feel she won't say yes and nerves get the better of me. But I also want it to be a surprise.

"I'll have that sorted soon. In the meantime, don't hesitate to check out any of our other jewellery." I nodded, but waited patiently with Angel.

The ring was perfect. It was twenty four carats, a big diamond on the top - but not too big that it looked tacky - and sparkled just like she did. She literally lit my life up, and therefore deserved the best.

"Here you go sir, how would you like to pay today?"

Once I'd finished paying, and had left the shop, I thought of a way I could do it. Christmas Day was just a few days away but was that too soon? Would New Years be better? Or was that too soon as well? Maybe I could wait till after, but that didn't sit right with me. It was now or never.

Angels little legs starting kicking and high pitched giggles full of excitement came screeching out. "You like the idea of me doing it now, baby?" Her smile grew from just hearing my voice, but I'll pretend it's because she's agreeing just to persuade myself more. The more confidence I had, the more chances of me dropping to one knee.

Our trip home was relaxing until I pulled up outside the house and saw that the girls were back. I had the ring gift wrapped in a bag that spelled out the name of the shop, if she saw it she would put together what I had planned.

"Shit!" I muttered under my breath, ensuring Angel couldn't hear.

I grabbed the bag, hiding it behind Angels bag when a knock came at the window. I jumped out my skin. Literally. My heart was pounding and my legs were shaking. I looked over to see Lucy's eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Hey, my baby! I missed you!" She cooed as she reached over for Angel. She started tickling her, until she looked over at me. "What's up with you?"

I swallowed a giant lump sitting in my throat. "Nothing, babe. You just scared me that's all." I gave a nervous laugh, hoping she'd believe it.

She stared for a second before reaching for the bag. I practically leaped across the car to stop here. "No! I'll get it." I went from shouting to calm in zero point two seconds. The look she gave me told me she beyond confused by my behaviour, but as long as she didn't move that bag then I didn't care. She couldn't see that ring.

"Okay..." she drew out the word as she moved Angel out the car. "I'll be inside."

I smacked my head off the headrest, finally able to calm myself. But it didn't stop me staring at her amazing ass as she walked to the house, the woman was so Goddamn sexy. I laughed to myself. I went from stressed to hard in seconds. The things she did to me. And I couldn't wait to make her my wife.

I strolled through the door, bag hidden under my coat and nerves rolling off me again.

"Hey, Bax!" Avery called.

I looked over her head for Lucy, but noticed she wasn't in sight. "I got the ring." I whispered.

Her eyes widened. "Already?!"

Oh Fuck. "What's wrong? Too soon? Should I not ask yet? Will she say no?-"

"Jesus, Bax, calm down!" She ordered, throwing her hands up to shush me. "Take a breather before you lose oxygen or she overhears."

I nodded, taking a deep breath.

"Firstly, I think you need to wait until New Year's Day. Give her Christmas, she will definitely want forever just like before when she experiences Christmas as a family. Secondly, hide the ring! She will be back down in a minute!"

Right on cue, she came walking down the stairs with Angel in her arms. "She needs a bath, I was wondering if you could help me?" She looked to me, but her eyebrows creased again. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"What? Yeah! Course. Be back in a sec." I realised I was going to have to keep the bag in the car so I rushed back out and hid it. Hopefully, she wouldn't find it.

They were both staring at me dumbfounded when I came through the door, but I pushed it aside and pulled my two girls up the stairs. "Come on, lets give our little girl a bath." She smiled and followed, seemingly forgetting about my strange behaviour.

The rest of the night she didn't ask and thankfully neither did Avery. The last thing I needed was Avery asking questions and letting it slip or giving Lucy the opportunity to find out. I just had to plan the occasion perfectly, so was definitely due a meeting with both Liam and Avery together. I already know she won't be too fussed about something big, especially at the moment, but I need to make it extravagant in another way. It has to best something to remember.

"Want to tell me why you're giving me heart eyes?" She whispers, just as Avery walks out the room.

"Because you're so beautiful, sexy, gorgeous, I can't help it." I reached over for a kiss but was stopped when Avery returned.

"Good try, but I'm back." She laughed, but there was nothing funny about it. I was already growing uncomfortable in my pants and wanted badly to take my girl upstairs. I inwardly groaned and sunk back into my seat, I suppose I could use the distraction to focus on my proposal. Wow, that sounded so strange. Hearing myself say that was definitely something I'd have to get used to. I never thought I'd see the day I finally get a wife and a daughter, and two that were so beautiful.