25. L U C Y

I've been shocked in my life. Surprised by so many different things that have happened. Like when my parents left, or when I found out I was pregnant, or when my grandparents passed away. Things like passing my medical exams too were also a surprise, not sure why, but I suppose all the worrying made me lose hope. But despite all that, despite how big those times in my life were, nothing compares to right now; Bax standing in front of me telling me the real reason he was about to marry Melissa, and the phone call I just had to confirm it.

"So let me get this straight," I shoved my hand in his face. "You were about to marry Melissa because they blackmailed you? And you decided to just give up so now I don't have a job," I paused, taking a deep breath before raising my voice. "I can't provide for our baby!"

"I'm sorry, but I don't love -"

"Don't!" I screamed, shutting my eyes in frustration. "Just don't."

Seeing him turn up at Avery's house was confusing enough, but for him to reveal all this was like a bomb had gone off in my brain. All common sense had disappeared, I couldn't understand exactly what was happening.

The first thing that came clear, or was seemingly clear anyway, was that he only left me because of this. He left me six weeks ago because he thought he was protecting me, and now I was left with no job.

"Can you at least talk to me please?" He begged, holding his hands in the prayer position.

"What is there left to say?" I sobbed. "Huh? What could you possibly say to make this any better?"

"I did this to protect you, I know how much that job means to you baby."

"No!" I screamed. "You do not get to call me that."

He looked tired. His whole face looked stressed, and exhausted. Then as soon as I screamed he flinched. I gulped at my outburst, but he hurt me. So much.

"I'm sorry."

I scoffed. "You keep saying."

"I can provide for you and our baby, I promise."

Was he not understanding this? Did he think the main issue was my job?

"You don't get it do you?" I began. "You left me, you didn't tell me the truth, then you show up and say this. I can't trust you!"

I saw his face drop as soon as realisation hit him.

"I told you I loved you." I cried, the tears spilled down my face and hit the ground like rain drops.

I wanted to take him back, tell him I was happy for the revelation, confess I still loved him, the date meant nothing, but I couldn't. He broke our trust. How did I know he wasn't going to do it again? I wasn't sure what those psychos were capable off - I mean Jesus who threatens people like that? Our baby deserves more than this. I couldn't expose my baby to a world of hatred or hurt, we are destined to be more happy separated than together.

"There are so many things I want to tell you right now. So many Bax." I shook my head. "But I can't because I can't trust you."

"Please Lucy, I -" he paused. He looked pained, like he was struggling to finish that sentence. What could he need to say that was so difficult?

"Just go Bax. It's over. There will never be a me and you. Not now." I pulled open the door, and waited for him to leave.