Chapter seven

"Tonight we'll dance,
I'll be yours and you'll be mi-i-i-i-i-i-ine,
We won't look back,
Take my hand and we will shi-i-i-i-i-i-ine!"

Well, everyone seemed happy except for me. Tris had made a fire from sticks, and James and Connor's guitars had washed up on the shore, so were sitting around the fire singing their hearts out, with Brad, Tris and Nicole joining in. Me? I couldn't stop worrying about Nazmin, and to be honest, I was starting to feel sorry for Maddie. I mean, her boyfriend's plane had just crashed in the middle of nowhere, and she wouldn't know where to look first. I cuddled up closer to Connor, deep in thought.

"Everything okay babe?" He asked, pulling me closer. The only sound was the soft crackles from the stick fire, and I could feel everyone's eyes on me.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just tired," I lied, smiling at him.

"Yeah, I'm kinda tired too," Tris admitted, yawning. I wasn't actually tired, I was just worried about the girls. Nazmin was probably still stranded at sea, terrified.

I nestled up closer to Connor's warmth, thankful that I was with him. He lay his guitar in the sand and held me close for a while, running his fingers through my hair soothingly. It was really dark and late now - about 11pm my guess would be. I was just falling asleep when I heard Connor start playing his guitar. I slowly opened my eyes and sat up to find everyone else asleep; Nicole and Brad were cuddled up together, and James and Tristan were using each other as pillows. Connor glanced over at me and smiled.

"I thought you were asleep,"

"Well, I nearly was. How come you're not?"

"Just couldn't sleep baby." Connor replied, shuffling over to me as I automatically snuggled up to him. "Close your eyes, Clo." I did as Connor said and he began to play the guitar softly to me.

"If you want words to put your mind at rest tonight,
Come and shout about it.
Yeah we can talk for a hundred miles and drive,
Where you're less surrounded.
'Cuz I can see, that the candle you hold inside,
Has a cloud around it.
How can a heart, like yours be that high and dry,
When it burns the brightest?

I'm so sorry I can't stop myself from staring at you,
When you're tired and blue, my dear,
It's just any reason I get to be closer to you, ooh,
I wanna shout about it,
I wanna shout about it."

Connor played one last chord on his guitar, and I found myself almost asleep. I felt him wrap one of the jackets he was wearing around me and kiss my forehead, then I fell straight into a deep, long sleep.