Chapter eleven

Night time arrived once again. Our hunt for food had been successful though - we'd come back with coconut shells full if the delicious water, and Brad had also spotted some cocoa beans that we chewed endlessly on.

My guess would be that everyone settled down at about 1am, except for me. It felt as if someone was watching us. When I heard Connor's steady breathing, I sat up straight, listening. There was no way I could stand up; Connor's arms were wrapped tightly around my waist, preventing me from going to explore. I could still feel someone's eyes on me though, and it was really creepy. I peered around me, sitting up as straight as I possibly could.

Then there was a rattle in the small bamboo area, and I was suddenly alert. Sure, it could just be a bird - but to be honest, I knew that it was more than that.

That's when it happened - a strange figure kept out from the strands of bamboo, waking everyone. We all stood up in fear, each of us edging backwards - all except Tris, who seemed frozen in time.

Tris' POV

That face - I knew it anywhere.

Although you could barely see her face because of the moonlight, I could make out who that girl was anywhere - Maddie.

I ran over to her, screaming her name. She threw her arms out too and we had a minute's hug, clinging on tightly to each other.

"Oh, so that's Maddie?" Con asked awkwardly.

"Yep," I clarified happily, beaming.

"I've missed you so much," Maddie cried into my shoulder, shaking. "I saw you asleep, then I saw something sitting up - I thought it was something dangerous."

"Uh, that was me..." I knew Maddie had accidentally just offended Chloe, but I also knew that it wouldn't be long before Maddie and Chloe were like sisters.

I heard a sudden flingnoise zoom past my head, and then a sudden arrow landed on the sand infront of me. I turned round, not sure if I wanted to know where that shot had come from... Oh great.