Chapter ten

It was about midday, and I was starving. I knew Con felt the same; he couldn't last five minutes without his food.

I was glad when Brad suddenly noticed how long it had been since any of us had eaten any proper food or drank anything but salt water.

"I'm starving. I might go and look for food. Anyone wanna come?"

"Me!" Nicole smiled, jumping up eagerly. Brad smiled and kissed his girlfriend's forehead.

"Alright. Anyone else?" In the end, we all just decided to go. And I was so glad we did, too.

We'd been walking for about fifteen minutes when suddenly Connor shouted and ran off. I shouted his name and hurried off after him, everyone else close behind, then stopped. There was water. Con had found a massive, round pool of water. No one knew whether it was clean or not, but we didn't care. We all sprinted over like our lives depended on it, slurping it up, using our hands as cups for about five minutes. It tasted like heaven, and it was delicious. I saw Con stand up out of the corner of my eye and begin to splash about in the water - a weird way of washing, I guess. James, Brad and Tris jumped up after him and joined in, cheering, splashing, celebrating. I was so proud of Con, so I waded in to join them.

It soon turned into an out of control water fight. It was boys vs girls - a bit uneven, but oh well. Connor dived over to me and lifted me over his shoulders as he carried me around through the pond. I saw Brad grab hold of Nicole and tickle her so much that she fell into the water fully, and I also saw James spray water at Nazmin so much that she squealed.

But what about Tris? I peered over at him, and saw him alone in the water. I knew he was about to cry and wanted to comfort him. If that was me, I wouldn't know what to do.

"Con, what about Tristan?" Connor placed me down and took hold of my hand. Together, we made our way over to Tris and stayed with him.

"It's okay, Tris. She'll find us." Con said, his arm round Tristan's shoulder.

"I know mate. I just miss her so much," With that, Tris burst into tears. Wow. I'd never seen him like this before. I wasn't too sure on what to say, so I just kinda stood there awkwardly, wishing Maddie was here for Tris.

Tristan's POV

The past few days had just been so hard without Maddie. She was my life; I couldn't live without her.

I'd been trying to hold it in - I never liked getting upset infront of the boys and their girls, but today was just different. Seeing them having fun as couples was just heartbreaking, because I wasn't with my one true love - Maddie. I sighed, thinking about her and the memories we'd had together - our first ever date at that posh old restaurant where I forgot my wallet and we got kicked out, our first getaway together where I first kissed Maddie, and the first time that Maddie met my parents, and I knew straight away that they loved her.

"Tris? Tris!" Oh no, the others had noticed. Brad, Nicole, Nazmin and James stood crowded around me, a look of worry on their faces.

"She'll be here soon, Tris," Brad comforted, that promising look on his face. I sure hoped so - I wasn't too sure if I could take this much longer.