Dark Allies

The speeder flew noisily through the massive tree branches. Ania kept her senses spread out, watching for any sign of attack. Sabine had her scanner lowered and was searching for Ezra. Undergrowth crunched and tree limbs rattled as several people took off running.

    Ania sighed, shaking her head. "These poor people must be terrified."

    "I hope the New Republic can get someone out here to put an end to this," Sabine replied. "Actually, it wouldn't hurt to have Ahsoka contact Senator Organa so she can bring it to the senate."

    "You mean Bail Organa's daughter?"

    Sabine nodded. "We met her once, remember?"

    "I remember." There was still no sign of Ezra or any other Trandoshans.

    A feeling of apprehension pricked its way into her mind. Ania slowed the speeder down. Sabine flicked her scanner up, turning to her. "What is it?"

    "I just have this strange feeling," Ania replied. She closed her eyes, her hands tightening on the speeder's controls. Her eyes flew open and she urged the speeder forward with a jolt. A blast hit the tree branch behind them. Sabine braced herself against the speeder walls and drew out a blaster. Another speeder appeared behind them, carrying several Trandoshans.

    The lizard creatures let out their warning calls, opening fire. Wind whipped her lekku out behind her as Ania urged the speeder forward, faster. Tree branches looped the area in front of them. She deftly navigated the speeder through, as Sabine fired on the Trandoshans.

    "They're still coming!" Sabine shouted, a hint of frustration in her voice.

    "Working on it." Ania's wrist comm began beeping, but she ignored it. The speeder rocked as she grazed its belly against a tree. Sabine stumbled to the other side of the speeder. The Trandoshans fired again. The speeder rocked, flinging the two of them off their feet. Sabine flipped over the side of the speeder.

    Ania scrambled to her feet as they angled towards the ground. She grabbed onto the controls and pulled the speeder back up. "Sabine!" She shouted. There was no sign of the Mandalorian. Behind her, one of the Trandoshan speeders went careening into a tree.

    Sabine flew behind them, her jetpack roaring as she fired another rocket. The second speeder crashing to the ground, leaving just one more. Ania grinned and faced forward. Her grin fell, spying the tree that barred her path.

    "Jump!" Sabine shouted.

    Ania let go of the controls and leaped up onto the branch. The speeder smashed into the tree, exploding in a burst of fire. She shielded her face with an arm. The Trandoshans were still inbound. Sabine landed on the branch beside her.

    "I'm out of rockets," she panted.

    "Allow me." She moved towards the edge of the branch, waiting. The speeder increased its speed. Ania struck out her hands, latching her grip onto the speeder. It stalled in place. Her arms trembled slightly, holding it back. The pilot increased the thruster power. Ania straightened and flung her hands to one side. The speeder crashed into a tree, exploding.

    Ania let her arms fall, a nervous laugh escaping her. "Just like old times," Sabine said. "Let's go." She slid down the branch and into the cover of the jungle. Ania slid down after her.

    Her comm began beeping again. She switched it on and they paused, waiting. "What's the situation down there?" Ahsoka asked. "Have you found Ezra yet?"

    "Uh, not yet. We had a run in with some hunters and lost the speeder," Ania replied.

    "We'll have to figure out another way to get back to the Redemption," Sabine added.