Raging Impulse

Ezra angled the ship towards the New Republic cruisers. Kit was in the co-pilot seat beside him. Ania sat in the back of the ship on the bunk across from Moff Adelhard, watching him intently.

    "You'll be expected to call off your troops and surrender to the New Republic," she said. "Cooperate, and the Senate might be lenient."

    Adelhard laughed harshly. "Do you actually believe that? The Republic, the Empire, the New Republic...they're all the same, just under different management."

    "I don't believe that."

    "I'm curious. We all thought you were dead after you disappeared. Vader had bounty hunters and Inquisitors looking for you everywhere."

    "Did Vader tell you why?"

    "No, but he didn't need to. You're a traitor. You betrayed the Empire."

    "Maybe that's how you see it."

    "It's how everyone sees it. You should have stayed dead. They'll all be after you now." Adelhard scoffed. "Vader and the Emperor might be gone, but there are still those who would love a chance to kill you."

    "I thought you didn't believe they were dead."

    "Please, that's just a show. Of course they're dead, just like you will be."

    "You seem pretty convinced of that." Ania leaned back, crossing her arms.

    "We all hate you, Bonteri. We all have people hired to kill you. Eventually, you'll run out of tricks and slow down. When that happens..." he trailed off, watching her. "Personally, I think my employee stands the best chance."

    "Who is it?"

    Adelhard laughed. "Someone who hates you more than you could ever imagine. You made enemies, Ania, and now, they're coming for you."

    "Good thing I have some allies, then."

    "Please. As if those two children could do anything to help you. Your Rebel friends are no match for us, as scattered as we are. Not even the New Republic will stand by you when we finally catch you."

    "I have faith in my friends and they have faith in me."

    "I don't think they do. I think they pretend to, so that you won't betray them. In the end, you will. You always do. You were born a traitor and you'll die a traitor." He narrowed his eyes. "And when you're dead, there will be nothing to stop me from killing them as well."

    Ania bared her teeth and clenched her fist around his neck. Adelhard gasped, his eyes widening in shock and fear. She felt a terrible strength in her hand, but she couldn't make herself let go. "Threaten me all you want," she growled, her voice layered with another, "but touch them, and I will break you in worse ways than Vader or the Emperor could ever have imagined!"

    "Hey," Ezra grabbed her arm, pulling her away from the moff. "Ania," he pulled her against him as she struggled towards Adelhard.

    She blinked her eyes, feeling as though a fog was lifting from her mind. She took in Adelhard's terror filled gaze. Ezra pulled her out of the cabin, glaring at the moff. He let the door hiss shut and lock.

    "Hey, what was that?" Ezra tilted her face up, meeting her gaze.

She shook her head. "I don't know. He was taunting me, then threatening all of you and I just..." she glanced at her hands, letting out a sigh.

"I thought you said they couldn't possess you anymore."

"They can't. That was all me." Ania turned away from him, scrubbing at her face. "Their voices begin to surface when I tap into their powers as separate things. They can't control me or offer me their power. I have to take it."