Chapter 5

eter finally found his way onto fertile soil, his boots slightly sinking with every step. The sweet smell of apples was heavy in the atmosphere. "This is more like it." He sighed swinging his arms around aimlessly. Apples drooped over his head creating an arc, he pulled one of a branch. A red one. He ran his hands over the smooth, vibrant skin of the fruit. It felt weird in his hands. Dauntless don't eat apples, and the last time he was in Amity there wasn't really time to wander the fields. He took a bite. The texture was unusual, the crunch, the rubbery smoothness of the skin. Peter's face contorted and twisted into a frown and a grimace as he chewed. "Shit!" he cursed to himself as he spat the pieces of apple onto the ground. His face continued to twist as he attempted to rid himself of the bitter taste. "That tasted like stale toilet water!" Peter groaned stepping further into the orchards.

The evening began to draw neat now, birds flew between the branches singing their evening song. Sunlight, which was now orange and pink instead of white and yellow warmed the vast sky. It was peaceful now; almost silent. Some may even say its tranquil. But Peter would call it eerie, almost out of character. You couldn't hear laughter, you couldn't hear singing or the rhythmic footsteps of an Amity dance. He couldn't hear it.

For the second time this afternoon, he unclipped the walkie talkie from his belt. He fiddled with the dial, making sure to get a good signal.

"Hey who am I speaking to?"

"Four." Four's voice.

"And Eric." Eric's voice.

"Great what we playing, guess who?" Peter remarked.

"No." Four snapped.

"I thought we were playing monopoly?" Eric questioned almost innocently.

"No, I'm trying to find Taura." Peter corrected.

"Well it's taking that long! I couldn't tell the fucking difference!" Eric shouted through the walkie talkie causing Peter to cringe at the volume of his voice.

"Well I can't see her anywhere and I'm running out of options, maybe she's already back in dauntless or maybe she decided to go back home."

"No." Four snapped, "you can't give up Peter."

"What is it with you and this girl, Four? Your like a dad-" Eric asked curtly. "Wait, your not actually her dad are you?" He laughed mischievously.

"No. I'm not."

"Can you guys stop bickering for 2 minutes!" Peter scolded

"Sorry." Four sighed. "Eric, she left with her phone right?"

"No she gave it to me. What do you think, dumbass?!" Eric growled.

"Good. One sec, I'm going to track her gps." Four responded.

"You've only just thought of that?"

"Yeah, I've been roaming round here for hours and it could have been that easy?" Peter complained.

"Hang on, Amity is just grass and trees, it's not that hard to pick out a girl in all black."

"It is when there's a lot of trees!"

"You could of asked somebody. I mean Amity are bound to notice when a dauntless enters the ground." Eric said. "Especially when it's someone they know."

"That's the thing. No ones here. It's like an organic Navy Pier."

"Odd." Eric stated.

"A lot of things have changed there recently. It's one of the reasons why Taura left." Four interrupted. "Peter maybe you can ask her about it, if you look up." At that, Peter tilted his head upwards to see a raven haired girl (the one he's been searching for) dangling her legs from one of the branches. "Ahh, found her." Peter said, feeling slightly embarrassed.