Chapter 16

I follow Christina down a corridor, Peter behind me and we didn't have to go far until we find what Christina was on about. Four looked like you could drop him in some wood and the entire city will catch a light. I've never seen him so angry before.

But What frightened me even more was who he was angry with. Sam was pinned against the wall with a knife pressed to his neck. Yet he still kept a smug grin. I froze, I had no idea what to do. Four clearly knows something, but I don't want it to come out, not like this. I feel my stomach begin to do backflips as Sam's dark eyes find mine. He can sense my fear and he lives off it.

I do the only thing that seems logical;

Act like nothing's happened.

"Hey Four! Stop, get off him!" I dash between them, roughly shoving Four backwards into the wall. I hold my arms up parallel to my body, a palm facing both of them like a human barrier.

"Why are you defending him, you should be the one who wants him dead out of anyone?!" Four yells at me, fury evident in his face.

"What the hell are you on about?!" I know exactly what he's on about. Four freezes, his mouth agape.

"Yeah Four, what have you been blabbing on about?" Sam speaks up, pretending to be shell shocked. "Taura, if you hadn't had jumped in when you did, I don't think I would be alive right now. Thank you. So much." If this man had any talent, it would be acting. He stays behind me, rubbing his neck exaggeratingly.

"Why were you two having a scrap anyway?" Peter pipes up from the side of me.

"That's a good question Peter, I was just making my way down the corridors and Four just came out of nowhere and started attacking me. He was accusing me of hurting you." Sam rattles on, pointing at me. It felt like my heart drop to my stomach. "I mean, he accused me of raping you!" I gulped maybe a little too loud.

"What?" Peter moves closer to me, as if he was guarding me from Sam.

"Oh, don't act so surprised, it's not as if it's unheard of from him!" Four barks at Peter while still keeping his eyes locked on Sam. He's done this before?

"Four, I really don't have a clue what you're on about." Sam half laughs almost menacingly. "I haven't even touched her, right Taura?" He gives me a pointed look, raising his eyebrow as if to warn me of the consequences if I don't agree with him. I pause for a while, debating on what path to take. If I tell the truth, I could get rid of Sam, but I know he will have something lined up for me and things would get weird between me and Peter. Or I could go along with it, play Sam's little game, and everything stays the same.

"He's right. Four I think you're going crazy, the only time he's touched me is to shake my hand, and that was 2 days ago." I choose the latter. Fours jaw drops, and his eyebrows contort together.

"But... But the CCTV... it was him!" He stammers, pointing the knife in Sam's direction.

"Well clearly you got the wrong guy."

"Your lying." Four tells me.

"I'm ex-candor and I can tell you she's not lying." Peter snaps from behind me, placing a hand tightly on my shoulder. I gave him a weak smile which he returned but I had to turn away. Four sighs loudly.

"Just drop the knife and call it a day." I tell him firmly. The knife drops to the floor with a crash and Four throws his hands to the side in defeat.

"Hey, no hard feelings. It was just a misunderstanding, right?" Sam said with a smug look on his face. Four responds with a scoff before storming off. Sam began to chuckle lightly, eyeing me up and down. My heart pounds inside my chest. Even though Peter and Christina were there, I still felt vulnerable.