Chapter 10

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

Bright white lights blinded my eyes as my eyelids peeled back and a painfully loud beeping besides me echoed in my ear drums. I was so sore. All my muscles had a deep, stinging ache to them and worst of all, I have no idea why. My head felt like it was being repeatedly smashed by a hammer - very similar to when me and Eric had a scrap – except this time I wish I would be knocked out.

The bright lights began to fade from my vision, and my surroundings became clear. Everything was blue. Where the hell am I? I looked downwards, and I was on some sort of bed, and there were tubes and wires stuck all over my arms. One of which had a red liquid flowing through it.

"Taura?" A voice spoke softly to me. Four. I let my eyes wonder on their own, moving my head was far too strenuous right now. Eventually, they found him. Boy, he was not a pretty site to look at. His eyes were all swollen and puffy and his hair was a greasy mess. He had been crying.

"Oh, thank god, you can hear me." He sighed, clearly noticing my eyes head to his direction. I felt his calloused hand rest on top of mine, squeezing it lightly. I snapped my hand away.

Unfortunately for him, no number of drugs was going to make me feel sorry for him.

"Get out." I whispered, I was hoping for it to be louder, but turns out I have a tube shoved down the back of throat going through my nose.

"Taura, I want to- "

"Get out." I repeat, this time a little louder but it was rather painful.

"But- "

"I said, get out."

"Tee?" A familiar voice spoke from next to Four. Tee. There's only one person who calls me that. I moved my eyes across to the source of the voice.

No way.

My mouth seemed to freeze half open, not letting words escape from my mouth. I'm speechless. I haven't seen him in 2 years, but his golden hair and green eyes were easily recognisable. It feels weird seeing him dressed him in all black, I'm so used to seeing him in a tight red shirt and loose brown shorts.

"Raul?" I said his name.

"Um... yeah it's me." He murmured. "it's been a while, hasn't it?" He laughed a sad laugh. I just nodded, I don't know what to say to him.

"Four, can you just give us a minute. It's been a while." He smiled. He's always been the happy one out of us and transferring to Dauntless certainly hasn't changed that.

"Yeah sure." He stood up and patted Raul on the shoulder before waking out. Are they friends? The door clicked shut behind him, and for the first time in over two years, it was just me and Raul.

"So..." he hummed, pulling up a plastic chair and sitting on it backwards, resting his arms on the space next to me on the hospital bed. An awkward silence fell over the two of us – the type of silence you get when you meet someone new and have nothing to talk about. "When Four told me, you had moved to dauntless, I really didn't think we would meet in Erudite."

"Yeah, well I didn't expect to end up in Erudite." I smiled, but it vanished as quickly as it came. He nodded, eyeing my face carefully.

"What happened to your lip?" He asked, his thin brows furrowed into a knot. I raised my hand to my mouth and finding the wound. It had been stitched up with butterfly stitching, the doctors must have done it when I was asleep.

"Oh... I cut it earlier in training, it's no big deal." I lied.

"Come on, Taura. I've known you long enough to know when your hiding something. And you've known me long enough to know you can tell me anything." Raul gave me a pointed look. He's right. I can tell him anything.