14. Champagne & Him

Charlie wraps an arm around me and pulls me closer. I trace his fingers slowly, "It's morning."

"Ten minutes isn't going to hurt any of us."

I turn and face him, "ten minutes for what?"

"Uh, to cuddle."

"Okay, not happening. We will be late by then."

I pull away from him. "Okay, I just cuddle this fluffy pillow as your replacement." He takes my pillow pouting and hugs it. "Kandy doesn't want to cuddle."

I pull the pillow away from him. "We're going to be late."

"Fine," he groans. "I'll come."

"Thank you."

I leave the room and make my lemon tea, put my hair up in a bun and drink the tea whilst reading the morning newspaper, which I took out from the doorstep. And then the massive thought hits me that I nearly break my mug.

"Shit," I mutter and then I shout to Charlie making my way upstairs.

"Charlie, we meet your parents tonight."

He exits the bathroom with a toothbrush hanging out of his mouth; he pulls it out and mumbles. "It's not until Monday, don't worry."

I widen my eyes, "today is Monday!"

"Ok, we're supposed to meet them in the evening. We still have time."

I sigh as he enters the bathroom again. I sit on the bed and think; I am going to meet his parents. It's too much to take at once, I've met his mother and she likes me but his dad? I've never met him; it's very hard even to find him in the pictures.

I know what he looks like and he seems very intimidating. I close my eyes and rub my temples.

I need to calm down.

I feel Charlie as he sits next to me and wraps his hands around me. He pulls my hands away and I look up to him. He smiles slightly, "It's going to be fine," he says. "My dad will like you."

"It's not that," I say turning away from him. "Everything I do, everything I try to do, it reminds me of her. I will never be her, I will never be Kezya."

He pulls me closer, "Kandy, you don't get the point. Do you?"

I shake my head a no and he continues. "The point is that, I don't want you to be her. I don't want you to be Kezya."

"I want you to be you. I want you to be Kendal Hughes, you get that?"

I nod smiling. "Okay." I get up from the bed, "it's time for college."

I see Sky first in the cafeteria who's with his friends on the opposite table stealing glances once a while at Blue. Who's blushing, something went to down between the two of them over the weekend but before I could ask about it, Adelaide joins us, "the party is this Friday, brace yourselves people!"

Charlie grins at me and I smile right back. I feel like I am smiling when I am with him. I lean onto him and place my head against his shoulder I am very nervous suddenly thinking about the meet with his dad.

He kisses the top of my head and whispers. "I am going to be right next to you."

*********

I look at the streetlights to calm myself down; I've walked down these very same lanes with Charlie all night long holding his hands happily. But now, fear and confusion drowns me. I adjust my peach dress's strap and clutch my purse tightly.

Charlie places one hand on mine; I give him a small smile. He smiles right back at me.

"It's going to be fine," he says. And looks back at the road, I know it's going to be fine. What tugs at my heart is that I will never fill the void she was in.