Chapter 10 | I Must Pay Attention in Class

Wednesday, September 20

This woman is actually starting to get on my nerves.

From acting like she owns the place to giving horrible detentions to anyone and everyone who disobeys. Luckily, I haven't gotten a detention yet. Maybe I'm just not on her list... Or maybe it's coming up.

Of course, how bad can it get? It's not like she does own Hogwarts. Just her tinsy, tiny classroom in the middle of the school. She can fantasize all she wants in there.

It is deathly quiet in her classroom.

The only sound is coming from our quills, because no one dares take a breath. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating it a bit.

Still, no one speaks. We don't even look at each other. What if Umbridge thinks we're cheating? We're not even taking a test. What if she thinks we aren't trying hard enough? What if she gives us all detentions?

We've all heard about Harry's detention by now. Nobody wants that, and can I blame them? No. It is such a harsh thing to do. I mean, Harry is still a child.

To do that to a child is just... Evil. How can she even think of that?

Fred and George are already looking for ways to get back at her. I try to contain their fury as best as I can but I'm mad, too. I don't want anyone else to get in trouble but I do want justice.

Even now, the twins are making faces at Umbridge when she isn't looking. I try to get them to stop but it doesn't work.

I don't dare send them a note. I look back at them one more time, and whisper, "Stop it! She's going to give you-"

"Detention, (L/N)."

I freeze, blood turned cold. The room is somehow quieter than before. Everyone gives me a pitying look, some more than others. The twins' eyes are wide with shock.

"Uh, sorry ma'am," I say quickly.

"Maybe it will teach you to pay attention in class more often," she says pleasantly. "I really was lenient with you." Her lips turn upward into a sly smirk, and I realize just how long she's been waiting to punish me. And for what?

"Yes, ma'am," I murmur. My head is down, eyes darting around while my breath quickens. I feel like I can't breathe, I can't move.

"Get to work, please," she demands, with still that smile.

Before I can say "yes, ma'am" the twins shoot up from their desks and start to protest.

"It was our fault!" They shout.

"Yeah, we were being all looney and she was just telling us to cut it out!" George announces.

"I know what I saw," Umbridge says. Her voice isn't pleasant anymore. I turn back to the twins with a pleading look. "Quiet down if you don't want a detention as well. Guilty children must be punished accordingly."

I shake my head at them, pleading with them to shut their mouths. They share a look and Fred's about to say something but George pats his shoulder and sits down.

Fred, with a scowl, sits down as well. Content, I turn back around and continue my work as fast as I can. Maybe if I finish first, she'll take back the detention?

No. She wouldn't.

I do finish first, but she just smiles at me with a cold look to her eye. "Justice is always served to the naughtiest of children," she says in my ear.

I recoil with a shudder and go to sit back in my seat to read the rest of the passage. Am I shivering? I can't tell.

After class, I get out as soon as I can to get lunch. She calls me before I can though and I freeze. Fred waits, glaring at the DADA teacher.