Chapter 35 | Where is Home?

Sunday, December 31

With a wave of my wand, my things besides my toothbrush and tomorrow's clothes are packed.

I hate to leave when it feels like I just got here - I mean, I did, really. 6 days ago I got to the Grimmauld Place to hang out with my very spectacular best friends and cool adults that love us.

And tomorrow, Mom's taking it away.

Why does she have to take it away?

Fred embraces me after I close my suitcase and set it beside my bed. I enjoy his warmth because I know I won't be able to feel it again anytime soon, apart from tomorrow's good-bye hug.

He places a long kiss to my temple and promises to write me everyday. In return, I tease him about having to do schoolwork and studying without me.

He leans down and we are nose to nose. "Together forever, love?"

"As you wish." I reach up and our lips meet for the last time.

~~~~
I refuse to talk to my mother until we're alone.

"Aren't you going to say good-bye to the Weasley's?" Mom asks with a brief smile.

I give Molly a hug once more and give another bone-crushing one to Harry and Ron, who return it. A moment later, the twins come outside to embrace me before I have to leave and so does Hermione after them.

"I'll miss you all," I declare, my eyes prickling with tears. Fred grabs my hand and whispers, "I'll write" in my ear. With a smile, I nod.

They went back inside and the place itself disappears once more. My smile is wiped off completely when I face my mom. I don't even bother to say hello and hurry to the passenger's seat of her car.

She sighs and gets in as well.

As the car travels along the road towards the long way we have to wherever she's taking me, Mom starts to talk. "How was your stay?"

"Fine," I reply shortly.

She pauses. "And at Hogwarts?"

"Fine."

"Any new friends?"

I think of Marlene and Susan. "Yes."

"Oh, that's nice. Who are they?"

"First years."

She stays quiet for another minute or so. "Any new teachers bothering you?"

Well, great. Who told her about Umbridge? "No."

"Oh." She grips the steering wheel tighter. "I thought that new DADA teacher would be a nuisance."

I think of my scarred hand and change the subject. "Why are you doing this?"

"(Y/N), I can't-"

"What?" I exclaim. "You can't what? Tell me? You promised to tell me when you picked me up."

She gives me a sidelong glance. "Okay. I just thought we could wait until we got-" she pauses for only half a second- "to our destination."

"You're not taking me home," I realize.

"No, honey."

"I'm mad at you."

"Okay."

"Seriously. Tell me what's going on." I scratch at my neck, glaring out the window and not at her.

She sighs in frustration. "Have it your way. The Greengrasses are trying to kill me."

"Oh." It comes as a surprise, but I can't help but wonder why I'm being brought into this.

"Why can't I stay at Hogwarts, then?" I ask. "If it's the safest place on-"

"It's not!" Mom shouts. I flinch at the sudden outburst.

"Uh."

"Listen, they're feeding you lies. Hogwarts isn't safe for you, not when that Daphne knows your every move. If you stay with me, we can hide until the Ministry arrests them."

"The Ministry won't arrest them."

"Wrong. With all the names of those Death Eaters out with Voldemort, and the accusation of Mister Greengrass, the Ministry is against them." She lets out a sharp chuckle. "They already blasted one of the Greengrass Manors. When my friend informs them of Greengrass's plot, they'll be out to get them for sure."

"Who's your friend?" I ask, party frightened.

She glances over. "You wouldn't know him."

"Okay, okay, wait." I furrow my eyebrows. "When your friend tells the Ministry the Greengrasses are trying to kill you, their Aurors will go after them?"

"Precisely."

"When will that be?"

She ponders on it. "My friend will be available quite soon. Perhaps you'll get to go back to Hogwarts before the year's end."

"Mom, where are we going?" I ask when we pass the "Welcome to London" sign.

"That friend of mine has a house we can stay at until we're allowed back."

In just a few hours, we arrive at the place. It's a small, dark cottage with one window in all. The insides are not lit up, so we do that.

Inside, there's a kitchen, bathroom, and two bedrooms. Again, it's small but I can manage. It's better than the house Mom owned before I turned 5. Of course, I don't remember it but she does.

"Alright, that bedroom is yours." She points to the one at the end of the hallway, the one with dark green walls and a black bed. I begin to unpack and sigh at my photo album.

"(Y/N), honey," Mom starts, walking in the room. "For now, you can't be sending letters as often. Maybe once every month, but it's just too dangerous."

I gape at her. "Really?! That's so unfair."

She gives me a stern look that tells me to shut and obey her. I glare, but eventually turn back to my bag. Stupid rules. Hardly fair. I keep muttering these things under my breath as I work.

The house is incredibly dusty. The entire house is dirty, so my mom and I work hard to rid the place of filth.

By the end of the day, my mood is sour.

No way do I want to spend every single day in this filthy, dark cottage.

~~~~
Published 5-15-20