Chapter 26 | Getting Along

27 chapters in 9 days?
In the first book, I barely made one chapter per day. Damn.
~~~~
Friday, November 3

Hermione is worried about me.

She said so the other day, but I'm fine. Do I look anxious to her? To anyone else? Okay, what Ginny said did bother me a lot, and I am hurt that my Housemates would treat me differently because of her.

Even Fred and George stopped talking to me because she wanted them to. I don't think I can fully trust either of them to not do that again.

That's why I'm still spending most of my time with Hermione.

She didn't treat me differently. Instead, she stayed by my side the entire time and didn't say a word against me.

Fred's trying to talk to me today, but I tell him I'm going to the library with Hermione.

"Wait, why?" He asks, pouting.

I glare at him. "I'd rather spend my time with true friends. Maybe after we're done."

"I am a true friend," he protests. "I love you, and I didn't mean it. I guess I was just... Upset?"

He's gotta be joking. I guess he isn't, so I narrow my eyes and snap, "Your feelings don't justify how wrong you were. I did think you wouldn't act different because of some nasty rumor."

I scowl. "My mistake." Before I leave, I turn and tell him, "You should be glad you came to your senses before something serious happened."

Am I acting irrational? Probably. Ignoring me for over a week did hurt, but it's more the fact that he didn't even tell me why. I can only guess Ginny told him bad things about me, but something else could have happened.

Nevertheless, he went from being a wonderful boyfriend to the opposite in a day.

What is wrong with him?

~~~~
After lunch, I have Charms with a few Slytherins.

I'm happy to say I did a lot better than my new usual. I think the Slytherins were too excited about the upcoming Quidditch match to care about class.

This Quidditch match is between Slytherins and Gryffindors, and seeing how tense the houses are already, one can guess this will be one heated game.

I don't usually feel so apprehensive about Quidditch games, because I don't care for sports on a whole, but this one will be one to remember, I just know it. If we're lucky, it'll be just another Quidditch match.

It's on Sunday, which is only two days from now. Hermione says it's going to be a pathetic loss for Slytherin, and I agree. Gryffindor has beaten Slytherin in every game since Harry's first year.

I'm sure the Slytherins want to think otherwise.

In the Great Hall, Fred takes his usual spot beside me, but it makes me feel weird. I don't like how he can automatically come back to me after more than a week of me worrying half to death over something that was completely his fault.

I forgave him this time, but next time I won't be so nice. Forgiveness doesn't mean I trust him again, so I'm going to stay wary.

I'm not going to be vulnerable around him anymore. He doesn't deserve to be around when my guard's down. Which also means there's no more complaining about life or telling him about my feelings.

Apparently, he doesn't like my quietness.

"Why aren't you so talkative?" He asks me when I'm trying to eat some stew.

I give him a long stare and swallow a bite. "There is nothing to say."

He frowns. "Usually, you have everything in the world to say."

"Usually, I'm given good reasons to why someone's wronged me."

"Why don't you let it go?" He asks.

That's it. I get up and go sit by Hermione, away from Fred. I can't just simply "let something go" when first of all, it was wrong and I don't know if he cares and second of all, it's only been a few days since he apologized. Let's be real, the apology didn't seem genuine anyway.

It's going to take me a while to act like my usual self.

Later that night I try to explain it to him. "I'm not going to just let it go immediately, Fred."

He doesn't respond.

"That did hurt, you know," I remind him. "I'm still upset."

"I'm trying to make it up to you," he says.

"In what ways?" I ask, skeptical.

"Well, I tried to spend time with you this morning, but you said you didn't want to."

I sigh. "I guess so. I'm not sorry I'm upset, but I do pity you for having to deal with it."

He grins. "Would I expect anything else?"

"Probably," I say in response to his joke. I decide to ask him about his day so we don't have to continue talking about this.

"I should be asking you," he starts.

"Well, you didn't."

"It was fine. I got to see you, I got to gloat to a couple of Slytherins about our soon to be win, so there's that."

I smile at this. "I bet they intimidated you."

"Nope. Bunch of morons, they are."

The evening sort of went like that. Neither of us brought up the argument, and we had a sort of good time.

I don't want to admit it, but I am glad he stopped being a moron himself. Sometimes instead of wanting justice for his acts, I want him.

Is that so hard to ask?

~~~~
Published 5-13-20