Chapter 46 | The Battle of Hogwarts Pt. 2

Saturday, May 2

"Please, Susan," I whisper to the unconscious girl. "Hold on."

I manage to refrain from crying, but thank Merlin we make it to the infirmary.

It's blasted to pieces.

"Where is Madam Pomfrey?" I shriek to Fred.

We head to the Great Hall to see several adults trying to tend to as many students as possible. "Please! She's on the verge of death!" I cry to anyone who will listen.

One woman finds us and sits Susan down at a spare, dusty mattress. I hear several incantations under the woman's breath as she attempts to heal her. A small, almost unnoticeable black cloud comes from Susan's mouth.

The woman checks Susan's pulse, telling us, "This is undoubtedly the work of Fenrir Greyback. Where is he now?"

I shake my head. "He's dead."

She stares at me incredulously before returning to Susan. She manages to keep in the bleeding with a thick bandage. I wince, thinking of my own wound.

"Go," the woman tells us suddenly. "She's crowded. Get out of here!"

Fred grabs my hand and leads me away. "Let's go. We need to find George and Marlene."

They are hovering near the entrance, Marlene snuggled deep into George's coat. He has his wand up and smeared blood from his lips.

Marlene throws her arms around my torso. I flinch at the pain in my back, but I return the hug. She wails in my arms. "Where is Susan? Is she still alive?"

I crouch down to her height while the twins stand protectively over us. "Marlene, listen to me." I bite my lip. "Susan may not make it out alive. Don't lose hope, because I promise that whatever happens, Fred, George, and I will protect you from having her fate whether it is death or permanent injuries."

She nods, still crying but quieter.

I stand and we take her to the Gryffindor common room to protect her. I see several other students comforting students younger than them by many years.

Katie Bell is one of them. She knows Marlene almost as much as I.

She takes Marlene's hand and with a nod to the twins and I, she takes her to relax by the fire.

Fred, George, and I come back out, wands at the ready.

"You there!"

I turn to see Mister Malfoy himself. I gape at him, mouth open with shock.

"Where is Draco?"

"I don't- I-" I rack my brain to think if I've seen him but I don't think I have. He disappears after my blank stare. The twins share a look and we continue down to the Great Hall.

The castle seems to quiet down when his voice begins again. I didn't realize it has already been an hour.

While he talks, a Death Eater finds us and shoots at the nearest victim, which is Fred. Fred falls backward, into a wall, which blasts at the impact.

I don't hear myself shrieking.

"You have fought valiantly, but in vain. I do not wish this. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste."

"I therefore command my forces to retreat."

"In their absence, dispose of your dead with dignity."

"Harry Potter, I now speak directly to you. On this night, you have allowed your friends to die for you, rather than face me yourself. There is no greater dishonor. Join me in the Forbidden Forest, and confront your fate. If you do not do this, I shall kill every last man, woman and child who tries to conceal you from me."

I don't move, my breath caught in my throat.

~~~~
Published 5-18-20