Chapter 11 | After Dark in the Potions Classroom

Thursday, September 21

I want to hide my hand from Fred but he already knows what kind of detention Umbridge gave me. Everyone knows now. Even if I try to hide my hand, they know.

So naturally, when I try to hide my hand with the sleeve of my robes, Fred takes my hand without my consent to look at what Umbridge did to me.

He does not take this well. He says nothing, just stares at the hand. It scares me.

"Hey, it's okay. It doesn't hurt," I lie. "Snape gave me a potion to relieve it."

"It's not that," he snaps, still glaring at my hand. "It's the fact she thinks she can touch you and get away with it."

I force myself to smile at him. "Fred, she won't get away with this. We will get her back, I promise."

He doesn't look convinced. Before I can think of what to say, he takes my hand and kisses it. I restrain a wince. "Okay."

I reach up and place my lips on his for more reassurance. He wraps his arms around my waist, and I allow myself to think positively for once.

~~~~
Fred hasn't been himself all day. I know it's because of my injury, but I can't convince him it isn't a big deal.

He looks awful. His hair is all messed up and small eye bags can be seen if you squint. He looks tired with his big, red eyes and puffy cheeks. He'll hardly joke around with George or say anything for that matter.

George tells me Fred was crying earlier, in the bathroom downstairs.

When I get out of Divination, I seek out Fred to comfort him. I feel terrible for getting myself in detention. It's affecting Fred more than it's affecting me.

This is all my fault. Well, no, this is all Umbridge's fault. Fuck you, Dolores.

I see Fred walking towards the Gryffindor tower, shoulder slumped and hands in his pockets. I run up to him to walk next to him.

"Are you okay?" I ask quietly, my voice exceptionally soft.

He shrugs. We reach the moving staircases. He turns to glance at me. "Can I see it again?"

I give him a pained look. "It's getting better already, you know. Snape saw me last night and took me to the dungeons to heal me."

"Yeah, well, it doesn't look healed," he retorts, turning away. We step into the next staircase. I begin to feel frustrated.

"It takes time, Fred." My voice becomes more firm. "For now, he's relieving the pain. That's so nice of him, don't you think?"

He shrugs.

"It's unlike him," I continue. "But I'm grateful that someone's helping."

He looks me in the eye for the first time today. "I'm not helping." It was more of a statement than a question, but I have to answer honestly.

"You're scaring me," I admit in a small voice before the staircase stops at the Fat Lady. "You've never been so... Distant. Sad."

He doesn't respond. I give the password to the painting and she lets us in. Fred takes a seat on the couch in the back. I sit beside him, still worried. "You know-"