Chapter 45 | The Battle of Hogwarts Pt. 1

Saturday, May 2, 1998

The breeze was indefinite yet calm, much like the events at Hogwarts today.

Fred grabs my hand for reassurance and I tighten my grip on my wand. We are going to win this war. For Fred. For the thousands of innocent wizards and witches cowering in their homes, wondering if they'll live through the week.

He has to be stopped.

"Let's go," Molly says, her frown evident.

We follow the witch silently, with only solemn glances at each other, hoping to win this war. Not that I have any doubts.

When we get to the castle, Molly immediately tells us to stay near her while we sneak in to find the other members of the Order with the D.A. Fred and George stay right beside me, acting as my body guards.

When we find the room where our friends are, we greet them accordingly with hugs and our condolences for their families. Hermione finds me almost immediately and practically jumps at me.

"I haven't seen you in too long!" I breathe, lying my chin on her shoulder. My best friend looks tired and bloody, but determined. I'm so proud of what she's done for us so far.

Harry finds me, too, and gives me a long hug. I smile into his neck, realizing for the first time how dearly I've missed my friends.

We pull away, and Harry announces, "We're going to win this war. I promise."

The room erupts into pre-battle cheers. I gaze around the room, my chest filled with pride at all the witches and wizards who look ready for anything. Fred rests his arm on my shoulder and I lean into him.

When Harry does go out, we hear him taunt the new Headmaster, Severus much to my disappointment, about the security problem.

When we enter the dreary Great Hall, the shock in everyone's eyes fill me with determination, even Severus's. I cannot forgive this man for what he did to Hogwarts, but that doesn't make me feel good about it.

Especially when his face makes me want to break down and cry, but I can't. This battle hasn't even started, if I give up now I'll never forgive myself either.

Fred has one hand slipped in mine and the other gripping his wand. My knuckles white, I point my wand up as a threat to the Death Eaters.

"How dare you stand where he stood?" Harry bellows. I pretend not to hear the pain in his voice. "Tell them! Tell them how looked into the eyes of a man that trusted you... And killed him!"

For only a moment, no one dares breath.

Severus whips out his wand and I cry out in anguish while the students around him fled to the walls away from him. McGonagall throws herself in front of Harry.

I close my eyes when she starts to attack Snape. I don't open them until she yells, "Coward!"

Severus left with his fellow Death Eaters.

While everyone cheers, I press my face into Fred's chest. McGonagall, with a wave of her wand, lights up the room as it should. I still cannot believe Severus, the man who could have almost been a friend, betrayed us.

The celebration doesn't last long. As soon as the noises start, a girl screams, followed by another one. I jump from Fred, face wrinkled up with shock.

He begins to speak to all of Hogwarts.

"I know that many of you will want to fight. Some of you may even think that to fight is wise. But this is folly." My mouth parts in surprise. How is he doing this?