Chapter 41 | St. Mungo's

I was definitely not aware the Battle of the Department of Mysteries was on June 20th.

Let's pretend that time skip wasn't so long.

~~~~
Friday, June 21

I wake up in St. Mungo's.

At first, I don't realize what is going on. I even ask Snape why he is waking me up so early, but of course I quickly remember yesterday's events.

"Sirius?" I mumble. That was, after all, the last thing I heard before I blacked out.

"(Y/N), I'm sorry." It's Hermione. She grabs my hand in sympathy. "He didn't make it."

His death soured my mood a bit, even though we weren't particularly close. Of course, I think of my mother's death. Tragic.

"But hey, Umbridge is gone," she continues, a forced smile on her face. "Dumbledore came back as Headmaster. That means both Hagrid and Trelawney are back as teachers."

I pretend to look as pleasant as I can.

She traces a circle on my hand. "That was a nasty curse, wasn't it?" She's talking about that spell the Death Eater sent on me.

I nod, looking away.

She frowns, but doesn't continue.

Springing from her seat, Hermione exclaims, "Professor Snape!"

"How astonishing my name is, yes?" He says.

I smile. "You told the Order."

Hermione is shocked, but Snape gives a small nod. Naturally, he doesn't want anyone to think he's a big softie on the inside.

That's a stretch.

"Granger, will you excuse us?" He snaps.

She bolts out the room.

He turns back down, and now that she's out of his sight, his gaze softens. "I've come to see how you are. It's not everyday you get hit by a Death Eater and live."

My smile turns to shame. "I'm sorry I left."

He tilts his head. "I wouldn't have called the Order if you didn't." Taking a seat next to the bed, he scowls. "I don't regret making you stay at the Manor instead of going back to Hogwarts."

"Because Umbridge?" I trail off but he nods.

"She was quite a surprising mop."

"Professor," I scold with a giggle.

He almost smirks.

I sigh. "I'm just glad she's gone. She gave me a nasty scar, that one." My right hand covers my left, an instinct. "I still have nightmares about her."

"She bothered you," he realizes. "And frightened you."

I nod.

"Well, I'd love to stay, but I have to get back at the Manor."

"Professor, wait," I call before he can leave.

He stares at me. "Where am I going to stay?"

There's a pause. "You don't have any remaining family members?"

"None."

"Where would you like to stay?" He asks. I am shocked at the choice. "I won't be putting you in an orphanage."

I think about my possible choices. I could stay with Marie, my agoraphobic neighbor, but that would be dangerous for her. I could stay with the Weasley's, or even the Snape Manor.

"I want to stay at the Manor," I decide, firmly.

It comes as a shock, but he agrees to let me stay. Then, he leaves. I realize I'll have to tell my friends that I'll be at his Manor, and they'll freak. I just hope they won't turn again.

I can't get my hopes up.

If all else fails, I'll be perfectly fine with Hermione as my only friend.

The twins, Hermione, Harry, and Ron come in. I sit up for them.

"(Y/N)," Fred breathes.

"Fred!" He takes me in an embrace and I almost cry. It's been way too long since I've seen him.

His eyes are sunken, but he looks so tall and mature. I place a deep kiss on his cheek, a sign of much needed affection. "Where have you been?" He whispers in my ear.

I decide to tell him. "Snape Manor."

To my surprise and utter delight, he isn't upset. Acceptance looks good on him if I do say so myself.

George moves in for a hug next, telling mean I look glamorous. I don't see how I've grown, if I have at all.

The Golden Trio stands back and talks amongst themselves.

I begin to talk. "I wasn't allowed to say before, but I'll tell you now."

Fred shares a look with George. I'm pretty sure he just telepathically told George what it was.

"I was at the Snape Manor. I would have stayed with my mom but..."

They pause. "Well?" George asks. "Has she come yet?"

"I'm sure she's on her way, (Y/N)," Fred reassures.

My eyes widen. Are they this daft?

"Hey, I didn't get to meet your mom," Ron says to my dismay. "Maybe when she gets here-"

"Don't you get it, guys?" Hermione bursts, her hands on her temples. Everyone stops to look at her, and I send her a grateful look for being the only smart one in this hospital.

"She isn't coming," Hermione starts, eyeing me. "She's..."

"Dead," I finish in a calm manner.

The room quiets. Fred's mouth is open in pure shock, George's eyes are wide, and Harry and Ron grimace.

"It's okay," I announce. "I'm still getting used to it, but it's okay."

"How did it happen?" Hermione's voice is so thick with disappointment that it takes all of my will not to cry.

"A certain barrette," I declare. "The Greengrass's burnt down our old house and took the barrette. When we sought to get it back, she hid me and got killed." I don't mention Astoria.

"Did you get it back?" Harry asks.

"No," I admit. "But one day, I'll get revenge."

~~~~
When the Mediwizards and Mediwitches order everyone to go home, Hermione begs them to stay.

"Please, she's my best friend," she whines.

"She'll be out by tomorrow, dear," the Mediwitch tell her, kindly. "We don't allow overnight visitors unless the patient is in critical health. Fortunately, she isn't. Go home, get some rest, and tomorrow you can help her get home."

"I doubt it," Hermione mumbles, but she obliges.

I know what she means. There's no way Snape would let her step foot in the Manor. She gives me one last hug and Ron has to pull her out. Fred tries to stay, too, but has to leave eventually.

I am reminded of the time my mother was sent to a Muggle hospital in London. This must have been how she felt when I couldn't stay the night, or how the nurses turn off the lights a certain way, or make sure I'll be okay until morning.

I snuggle down into the sheets and can't help feeling cold during the night.

~~~~
Published 5-16-20