Chapter 28 | The Indecency of Slytherins

Tuesday, November 7

"You're all banned?! For life?"

Fred nods, glaring at the painting we're closest to.

"Why? Doesn't McGonagall punish you?" I ask. "Surely she wouldn't ban you forever- or at all."

"Don't be stupid," he snaps with a scowl. "Umbridge put out another Decree." He says in a rather mocking tone, "'I have the right to change any rules by any teacher as I want.' Or however it was."

I sigh. "She's just not content with happy students, is she?"

He shakes his head. We enter the Gryffindor common room to see Harry telling the people on the Gryffindor team that he won't be able to play. I feel bad for the three of them, and I realize I'm not the only one.

"That's total rubbish!" Angelina shouts, groaning at the same time. "I have to pick a new Seeker and two Beaters in the middle of the year?"

Harry frowns, upset as well.

"Fred didn't even do anything," Alicia protests, still fuming.

George lets out a humorless laugh. "You know it's only because she can't tell the difference between us."

Angelina goes upstairs soon after that, probably to think about things. We all know she will have to host tryouts for the Beaters and Seeker. That doesn't make it any less infuriating.

Marlene and Susan are sitting next to me, making little objects float, like candles or pens. Susan says, "If Marlene and I were older, we'd definitely fill out for you." She's talking to the twins who instantly brighten up after this.

"I don't know," Marlene cuts in. "They were really good Beaters."

"Nah," George tells her.

"We were the worst," Fred agrees. "You'll be tons better."

I smile at their friendliness with the first years. Marlene and Susan give each other such an excited look that I have to chuckle, despite my bad mood.

~~~~
The next day, apparently word got out that the twins and Harry were banned from Quidditch. The Slytherins were having an obvious celebration in the Great Hall for breakfast.

"What's the matter, Potter?" Malfoy jeers. "Having a little break from Quidditch, are you?"

"You better shut your mouth, Malfoy," I snap, not in the mood to listen to him.

There's a small chorus of "ooo's" from the Slytherins and I roll my eyes. "Yeah?" Malfoy shouts. "Why should I listen to a poverty-stricken Muggle? Maybe you should afford some actual clothes before speaking to us."

What happened to him? He was sort of nice last year, but this year he's acting like a prat.

"You think you can speak because daddy and mommy spoil you at home?" I ask. "How pathetic. Maybe work a day in your life, earn your living. Then, we'll talk." 

Hermione smirks at Malfoy when he's speechless. Harry and Ron brighten up, too, and I'm hoping this changes the opinion of some of my fellow Gryffindors.

"See, that's the thing, (L/N)," Greengrass announces. "You were born into a poor, dead family. We were born into royalty. Our parents treat us better because they recognized our worth from the beginning."

"The size of your wallet doesn't make a difference," Hermione growls.

"No, it doesn't," Greengrass says with a sharp laugh. "We don't need money to be better than you."

"That's funny," I respond. "Take away all your money, and you're nothing. Why does it seem like you live on your bank account and nothing else?"

Greengrass glares at me. Malfoy jeers. "That's enough. People like her are too stubborn to admit the truth. But it's alright, they're beneath us."

He and Greengrass turn back to their little gang of Slytherins.

I sneer at their backs and face my own table. "Thanks, (Y/N)," Harry says.

"For what?"

"Sticking up for me."

I grin. "You know I'll have your back. Those snobs aren't worth our time." I pause. "They're just glad that for once they're allowed to break rules and get away with it."

Harry agrees, and we continue our meal. Fred and George share a look beside me, but I ignore them. I've had too much drama lately, and I think it's about time to lay back.

After breakfast, Charms is just a blast with the Slytherins. "Hey, Muggle-born," Greengrass greets me.

"Both of my parents were brilliant wizards," I snap.

She smirks. "So that makes you a Squib?"

"Which is the exact opposite of a Muggle-born," I say, with a bored yawn. "Make up your mind before you try to insult me. It gets boring."

She leers at me, but heads to her seat anyway, which is far away from mine. That's exactly how I like it. Alicia and Katie take a seat next to me.

"Hello," Katie says in a kind tone.

"Hey." I stare at Alicia beside her, who made a jab at me just the other day. "I'm sorry about Quidditch." It's more to Katie.

"Yeah... It's really unfortunate how biased the teacher can be." She's talking about Umbridge, but doesn't say her name directly.

The class starts soon after, and I felt something hit my back. I turn and it's a paper airplane. A seventh year Slytherin, a female, gestures for me to open it, with a smirk on her face.

I give her the sweetest smile and wave my wand. The paper burns up right in front of her nose. Am I stupid? Of course not. I won't give her enough of my time to get hurt over a sheet of paper. Not that whatever was on that would hurt me.

With lunch comes no Slytherins trying to say something to us. I consider that a good meal. For once, they are slightly tame.

Even after that, they don't say anything in the hallways. In Potions, the Hufflepuffs are decent to stand. They are nice to us Gryffindors, which is something.

All classes are finished. I'm exhausted.

By the time I get to bed that night, I fall asleep within minutes. My last few thoughts are how to get back at Umbridge for banning the boys.

And how to get back at the Slytherins for being dicks.

~~~~
Published 5-14-20