Chapter 18 | Old Friend

Wednesday, October 18

I would not leave Hector out of mine or Fred's sight after he returned.

He is too precious and too vulnerable to be out in the world like that. If he ever gets lost again, I will never forgive myself. Fred and I deem ourselves his protectors.

We will keep him protected for the rest of his life, so help me.

Besides that event, I'm convinced nothing special is going to happen before Halloween. I'll just settle down until then, enjoy the time I have left with my friends.

It's the least my life can do for me.

As much as I'm worried about Mom, I don't want to let it bother me so much.

The first stage of settling down happens to be literally settling down. Fred and I are laying on the couch just to hang out before classes start today.

We're aware we can't bring Hector to every class, so we're just making him stay in my dormitory. That way none of the beastly boys see him and take him.

At least until we get out of DADA. I don't trust Umbridge with Hector. She might confiscate or give me a detention for him.

I dread her class but now it's time to go. Marietta gives me another friendly wave, and Cho Chang is not present at the moment. I smile at her.

DADA isn't exceptionally horrible today. No detentions were given out, so that's a plus. That doesn't mean I don't still dread the class, though.

Fred and George walk me to the Great Hall with Hector perched on my neck. Before we get there, I suddenly remember I have to turn in a paper before the next Potions class.

They let me leave with Hector, as long as I convince them that he's safe. I think it's sweet they care so much about my bird pen. He's a hoot, isn't he? Hah... Get it?

I stroll to the dungeons by myself, confident about the walk. Who even cares if any Slytherin sees me and tries to insult me? Those insults are meaningless and a complete waste of time.

Granted, Snape's insults aren't a complete waste of time. They're kind of funny, actually. Especially when I hear him call a huge seventh year Slytherin a dimwitted plonker.

The Slytherin sneered at me when he passed, but I just grinned at his red face. Snape had successful shamed him. 10 points to the teacher's lounge.

I walked into Snape's classroom without a knock and announced my arrival. He was sitting at his desk, chin in his hands, when he looked up and placed them on his desk quickly. I ignored the weird gesture.

"What in Merlin's name is sitting on your shoulder?" He asks, his voice deep and icy, like usual.

"Oh!" I put the bird pen on my finger. "His name's Hector. I transfigured a pen into this last year. He's been by my side ever since." My gaze darkens. "Well, he got lost at the end of the year. We just found him."

He shakes his head. "What have you come for?"

I place the sheet of parchment paper on his desk. "My addition to Golpalott's Third Law of potions. I didn't mention this in my essay, and I was hoping you could take this as well. It doesn't have to be for a grade, since it's so late."

He sighs. "I do not usually take late papers, but seeing as this extra wasn't assigned and you took the responsibility to acknowledge what you missed, I will take and add it with your grade. Just this once, (L/N)," he says.

I smile. "Thank you so much, Professor."

As if on cue, Hector flooted down to Snape's desk to perch. "Hector!" I giggle. "I'm so sorry, Professor. He's a riot, isn't he?"

Snape stares at me while I try to pick Hector up again. "Honey, if you come back, I'll give you some of mommy's lunch. Even though you can't really eat it."

He finally comes back to my shoulder and I pet him with a gentle smile on my face. I look back at Snape. "I'll see you after lunch, sir!"

I skipped out of there, laughing at Hector's antics and the look on Snape's face. He was so shocked. Then again, I have to kind of have to imagine the facial expressions on him. You know how "animated" Snape can get.

So far, today is a good day. I'm glad things are turning out swell after all.

~~~~
Published 5-11-20