Chapter 22 | Ignore Me If You Must

Monday, October 23

I am actually surprised not too many people care about what Ginny said.

Of course, there are a few that are keeping distance. I just wish it were from people that I don't care about, like Dean Thomas or Sophie Roper.

Fred has not been speaking to me. He is completely ignoring me, probably due to the fact that his sister dislikes me and she convinced him I am a no good fraud, and that I belong in Slytherin.

George is less cold towards me, but is  also ignoring me nonetheless. I'm trying to talk to them, but they just leave or walk away. It doesn't feel very good.

In the Room of Requirement, I am starting to focus a lot more on Harry's instructions. He pairs me up with Marietta, the sweet Ravenclaw.

His instructions are to try to cast a nonverbal "Levicorpus." The key is to say it precisely in your mind with an upward flick.

I take a deep breath and ignore some of the stares. Marietta has her wand out, but before she can say a spell, I think, Levicorpus and flick my wand up and she is hoisted into the air by her ankle.

She yelps in surprise and is too stunned to say the counter-curse, so I do it for her. Her body is dropped to the ground and she gets up to hug me excitedly. I smile at her welcome.

"Good job, (Y/N)," Harry says. I nod.

I let Marietta do the same for me and she manages to succeed before I can say "Expelliarmus." I conjure the counter-curse immediately and it's like I just did a barrel roll in the middle of the air instead of getting jinxed.

Marietta tries it with Cho and I take this time to see how Neville's pulling up instead of Fred this time.

He is partnered with Ron. He flicks his wand upward but nothing happens and he groans. Ron tries it and Neville is thrown into the air and dropped on the floor. "Ouch," I say.

Ron's blushes in embarrassment. "Sorry."

"It's okay," Neville says. I admire his sportsmanship. "You did good."

When we all head to our common rooms, Harry pulls me aside. "Hey."

"Yes?"

"You're doing good," he compliments.

I smile. "Thank you. I think I finally mastered the spell. It took me a while, didn't it?"

"Yeah," he agrees, distracted. "I, uh, heard some things about you. I'm sorry about some of the girls- They're uhm... I don't know. They're really acting unfair."

Though I don't want to, I smile. "It's not your fault, Harry. I just don't know why they all care so much that I was in Snape's classroom. I was just helping him."

He nods. "Well, I hope they see what a talented witch you are."

"Thanks, Harry," I say. I'm glad he, the one who has the worst feud with Snape, understands me. Really, some of the other Gryffindors should act more like him.

He lets me go back to the common room with Hermione, who's waiting for me. She hasn't really left my side since Ginny acted like that. I'm grateful.

"What did he say?" She asks, nosy as ever. I don't mind.

"He said he's proud of me and he hopes the others start acting decently again." I try to keep my voice down as we get towards the picture. I give the Fat Lady the password and she lets Hermione and I in.

In just a few minutes, Ginny walks past us with a small sneer on her face. I wait for her to confront me about whatever I did, but she doesn't, thank Merlin.