Chapter 48 | Be With Me

Uh... So there's no "Chapter 24."

I didn't realize that until now, but eh, I won't change it. Anyway, enjoy!
~~~~
Sunday, May 3

I return to Snape's Manor immediately after we all leave Hogwarts.

I take my stuff to the same guest bedroom I used when Severus was alive. After unpacking the only things I own, I lie on the bed. I know I'll have to go to the Weasley's soon or one of them will personally come to beat me.

I make up the bed again and head to the kitchen, feeling the sudden urge to cry.

I resist.

Instead, I go into the refrigerator and get the Cheerios out, where Severus put them instead of the cabinet. I smile at the thought that he doesn't know where to put cereal because he probably doesn't eat the stuff. Not the cold, brooding, yet complex and elaborate Severus I know.

With a short wave of my wand, the Cheerios and milk pour themselves into a bowl. I think of Severus's feeble yet sweet attempts to console me when I was down.

I really, really miss him.

The Weasley's are happy to see me when I knock on their door, Fred especially. When I enter, I see a strange suit on him. "What's that for?" I ask, laughing.

He raises an eyebrow and grabs my arm, leading me into the living room where the others are hanging out. "(Y/N)?"

"Fred?"

"I love you. You are the light of my life and I want to be with you until we do get married with four kids and a crockpot."

"Oddly specific," I breathe, reminded of the time he asked me out all those years ago.

"I won't guarantee four kids, but I will guarantee the crockpot," he says.

Out of the corner of my eye, George and Percy share an odd look.

Fred notices, too, his face reddened. "Anyway- In 1995 when I had the guts to ask you out, I didn't exactly understand how special you would become to me. I thank you for that, but if it's not a problem, would you mind getting married sometime soon?"

He gets down on a knee like the traditional Weasley he is, and pulls out a very intricate ring, one that must have cost a fortune. Rather than answering him, I gape at the ring, adoring its glamorous and extravagant self.

"Say yes, for Merlin's sake!" Ginny yells. "Stare at the ring later!"

"Yes!" I throw my arms around Fred's neck, kissing him full on the lips.

The Weasley family coos and "aww's" while Fred puts the ring on my shaky finger. I gaze at it some more, at its perfect, embellished garnet in the middle with diamonds sprinkled around.

I look up at Fred with tears in my eyes when he stands again, and he leans down to peck my lips. I smile into the kiss. "Look at that. You wooed me."

He grins sheepishly.
~~~~

Severus's funeral day is a grim one.

In my tight black dress and flats, I am hand in hand with Fred. Even though he didn't like Severus all too well, he came to pay his respects.

As did Molly, Arthur, George, Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Ginny couldn't be bothered and the rest of the Weasley's were busy preparing for another special holiday.

The Malfoy's came, too, and surprisingly, they didn't look at us with disgust.

For the first time when I catch Lucius's eye, he doesn't turn up his nose in disdain. He looks at me like an equal.

Severus looks so weak in his black, fancy coffin. The most formal black clothes you could imagine were lying on his body, like he probably wanted. I bet if he ever had a wedding, he would dress for a funeral. The thought makes me frown.

I wanted him to be happy. I wanted to be happy as his- dare I say adopted daughter?

He was good friends with Arabelle before her death.

If I asked him now, would he have agreed?

When his body is buried, I turn to leave but feel a tap on my back. I look behind me at a tiny, female house-elf. "Yes, ma'am?"

"Impeccable manners, miss," she squealed. "Mister Malfoy and Missus Malfoy would like to talk to you about the Snape Manor."

I gulp, agreeing. The two stand over Snape's grave with their son, Draco. Fred waits for me back with his family. I carefully walk over to the Malfoy's.

"Hello, miss, mister," I greet, nodding politely. A funeral is no place to be rude. I give a small smile to Draco, who nods back.

Lucius shares a look with his wife, whose name has escaped me. All I know is she's pretty and not to be messed with. "We've heard about your stay at the Manor."

I was hoping they wouldn't talk about this, but the house elf did warn me. I nod. "Yes, he told me I could have the Manor before he died."

"You saw it?" Missus Malfoy asks, breathing heavily.

I dip my head. "Not by choice. I wanted to save him."

Lucius nods, and I realize how terrible he looks. Maybe one day he'll get around to shaving that beard. "Severus has surely taken a liking to you, hasn't he?"

"Yes, sir," I whisper, frowning. What other Gryffindor could he possibly tolerate? And how come it was me anyway?

"We thought for sure all of his will would go to Draco, or even Potter."

"Harry?" I ask, almost choking on my own disbelief. No way. Severus hated Harry.

Draco shakes his head, turning away to chat with other pure blood families.

"Yes, Harry. You see, Severus loved his mother."

This is news to me, but I only nod.

Lucius continues. "He left the Manor to you, correct? That wasn't all. Half of his will is to you and the other half goes to his godson, Draco."

I gape at him.

He stares right back. "Don't get me wrong, the money isn't as much as you think. I'm sure it must be a lot for you, though, five thousand Galleons."

"Five- five thousand?" I stammer, ignoring his blatant insult. That's about thirty-three thousand pounds. That's triple the amount my mother left me.

"Thank you," I tell him, containing myself from bouncing excitedly. I am nineteen, after all. Don't want to embarrass myself.

"Why are you thanking me?" Lucius asks, eyes narrowed.

"You told me about the will. You could have kept it a secret since you don't know me or you probably don't like me."

He turns away. "We've already sent the money to your Gringotts account."

"Thank you," I say after he and his wife leave. She gives me a kind smile before her departure.

I run to Fred and embrace him. He looks at me, worried. "What did he say?"

"Severus left a will, Fred!" I squeal. "He's leaving the Snape Manor and five thousand Galleons!"

He beams at the fortune. "You little gold-digger!"

I roll my eyes and he continues. "This will be perfect for our soon to be family. I can't wait to get our life started." He takes my hand and kisses my ring.

My face reddens with delight of the thought of having such a perfect life with Fred.

~~~~
Published 5-18-20