Chapter 38 | Learning from the Best

Thursday, January 11

Snape took me to his own Manor instead of back at the cottage.

He says it's because there's no one to look after me, even though I'm old enough to take care of myself.

It seems as if I haven't fully comprehended the death of my mother, but I'd rather not think of it. I don't want to see myself as an orphan. Besides, my mother is too brilliant to be killed in 5 seconds maximum.

Snape hardly talks to me while I stay, but I'm okay with that. He has a house-elf to take my things there to a guest room, and goes to his study.

I'm content by the state of my room.

But I do ask why he doesn't take me to live with Molly and Arthur Weasley.

I expect a snarl from him, but he  instead tells me in a very calm manner, "I don't think you could handle it."

I don't ask him to explain.

In the guest room, I don't stop to think. Instead, I practice from the textbooks every minute of the day, even at mealtime. Hopefully I'm getting better with magic. Nonverbal and wandless spells are being practiced as well, since I can't at Hogwarts.

Speaking of Hogwarts, Snape does have to leave for school, but he will come back every single weekend.

I think he is surprised by my lack of emotions at this time. I just don't want to cry about my mother's death. Too many things to do.

Currently, while Snape's at Hogwarts, I am trying to cast a wandless and nonverbal "Expelliarmus."

It's hard but soon I master it.

With the practice dummy he has in a separate room (I'm always in this room nowadays), I wave my hand and focus my concentration on the spell.

The wand is thrown away from him. Soon, I'll show Snape. He'll be proud.

I immediately take out my DADA textbook to search up another nonverbal spell. By now, I can cast multiple defense spells and a few offense ones as well without my voice.

The wandless ones are trickier, though.

My mom could do them, so I should, too. I want to be a more powerful witch than she was.

My practice is nonstop, from the time I get up in the mornings until I go to bed at night. I can't afford to be weak. Not now.

~~~~
Snape returns that weekend with a couple of things.

First, a bag of treats he took from Gregory Goyle after he pick-pocketed another student, and then some Potions books from the school.

I am surprised at this kind gesture. Isn't Snape notorious for his lack of empathy towards Gryffindors- well, towards any student at all?

"You are rather exceptional with Potions," he announces. "Yet there is always room for improvement with even the greatest wizards. Do you doubt that?"

"Never! I'll improve," I declare.

He almost smirks while he grabs my arm and leads me to his personal lab.

With just a whisk of his wand, a large table is cleared. 

"Brewing a potion is a delicate art that cannot be mastered by just anyone," he starts. "I expect nothing but the best, (L/N), am I clear?"

"Yes, sir," I say. "I'll do my best."

"Few Gryffindors are able to perform with such high grades. You, however, put aside your foolishness in my class and actually try your best. Very unusual, yet I will take this to my advantage and train you in such a way you will be unrecognizable by the time you return to Hogwarts."

"Will it just be Potions?" I ask. "What about Defense Against the Dark Arts?"

He is taken aback, but only for a heartbeat. "If you would like to be taught in that field by myself, I would oblige. For now, put that wand away. We have techniques to learn."

~~~~
By the end of the weekend, my hands are stained.

They've got blue and purple spots, yet they are also red from using them so much. I don't mind. Learning such a skill is more important than maintaining perfect hands.

Next weekend, he will teach me some very advanced DADA, more advanced than whatever Potter has going on (as he tells me). I didn't think he knew about D.A, it was awfully secret.

I don't ask about it.

During the weekdays, I am so incredibly lonely, so instead of practicing, I look around.

The walls are so drearily drab that it reminds me of the cottage. The only difference is the amount of money put into this house.

The rooms are all so unique, but I don't dare go into Snape's bedroom.

At the end of the day, I head back to my huge bed, the one covered with a Slytherin quilt despite my House being Gryffindor.

I doubt he expected to bring a Gryffindor home, but it happens.

The room is so peaceful and quiet. The window is open, allowing a small breeze to flow through. I enjoy the crickets I hear from outside.

No matter how much I enjoy Snape's Manor, it'll never be the same.

Tomorrow, I'll master more defensive and offensive spells. I might need it sooner than I thought.

~~~~
Published 5-16-20