6

Amelia

After four years at NYU, I thought I'd be sick of it by now but I find myself actually quite emotional as I line up with my fellow classmates outside Yankee Stadium. I always found it odd that we graduate in a baseball park but being here now, it seems fitting. The stadium is definitely large enough to accommodate the large class as well as all of our families and friends. Plus Dad has been talking about this for ages, not because I am graduating but because I am graduating in the home of his favorite sports team. So his sheer happiness over that is a perk to it all.

It's funny how my life has changed so dramatically from when I first started college. I was young and naive when I joined, unsure of what I wanted to do. It took a while to get to where I am now but I'm happy with my place in life. I still don't have it entirely figured out yet but it's okay. I'm closer than where I was.

I spot Christian in line amidst the purple graduation gowns. He smiles at me when his eyes find mine and I quickly scurry over to him. 

"Hey there," he greets me. 

"How's it going?" I ask. 

He shrugs.

"Definitely a little weird being here right now, you know? Feels like yesterday we were coming in for our freshmen year orientation," he says. 

I cringe at the memory. It's hard to forget how many of us they jammed into the auditorium to introduce us to the school. On top of that they had some guy, who reminded me of a camp counselor, come out in a straw hat and perform some song for us on his guitar. The whole weekend was a blur and I just remember how timid and nervous I felt. 

"That was an interesting time," I comment. 

"Definitely was. I honestly cannot believe we made it the full four years,"

I roll my eyes. 

"The amount of times I threatened to drop out was astronomical," I tell him. 

Christian grins. 

"But you didn't," he tells me with knowing look. 

Christian was one of the few people who got the brunt of my complaining over the years. Honestly I am shocked that I didn't scare him away by now. Looking back on it, I'm sure I came off as extremely pessimistic and just plain old annoying. 

A man talking into a megaphone startles me. I strain my neck over the hundreds of people to see where he is coming from. Just up ahead I see an older man with a doctoral cap on and a black gown with a bullhorn in hand. 

"Alright ladies and gents," he says. "We're going to line up now and start processing in. Please make sure you are in your respective spot. We'll be double checking as you enter the stadium," 

"Thank God we're sitting next to each other," Christian says to me once the man stop speaking. "I would die if I had to sit through a three hour ceremony with someone I didn't like on either side of me," 

I chuckle.

"I feel the same. I mean it's still three hours but maybe it'll be bearable," I say. 

The long line of graduates eventually begins moving. I make sure I am in front of Christian by the time we start walking. Several English professors check the name tags we have to hold to make sure that we are in the proper order. When we are given the okay, we eventually walk into the stadium behind the flag bearer of our college. 

My heart begins to beat rapidly as we process in. I vaguely hear "Pomp and Circumstance" playing mixed with the cheers of the audience all around us. My eyes immediately wander around the stadium, looking for my family, but I honestly have no idea where they are. Plus even if I did, the chance of finding them would be zero to none. I cannot make out anyone in the stands.