Chapter 5: Because

January 2020

Thursday's are such a tease.

Like it's not actually close to the weekend but you feel like it is. And my Thursday is going to be complete trash.

I'm rushing to put on my boots, hopping on one foot with a half eaten Poptart in my mouth. That is until it falls directly onto the kitchen floor.

Great.

I barely slept last night trying to get all my emails and ordering done for work today. So me and my dark circles are doing the most this morning.

It's been so hectic at work lately. With award shows and sorting out all the plans for fashion week, it has been nonstop.

Lane is planning on going to New York in February to see all the different shows and find new looks for the fall. While I am insanely jealous that she gets to be front row at the most amazing fashion shows, this means I get to have some much needed time off.

Maybe I can travel somewhere? Can I go somewhere fun on my budget of five dollars? Yeah probably not.

Of course, I'm four minutes late to leave as I reach for my favorite distressed denim jacket. I'm gonna need to grab a new jacket at the rate I'm rewearing this one. LA has been so much colder than usual and my east coastness has apparently all gone away.

I get to the office just in time. Lane is running around frantically, her long black hair in a very uncharacteristic messy bun as she searches for her missing schedule. Handing her the latte I picked up for her, I reach over under the coffee table retrieving the lost planner.

"You are a lifesaver. Thank you." She says to me with a sigh of relief.

Today we are  planning out every detail for the rest of the year. There are so many shows and events that she wants me to be a part of. She seems genuinely excited about the spring and summer season and how I can help her with everything.

It feels like the first time in four years that my career is moving somewhere. Like what I'm doing and all my hard work is actually being noticed.

Lane has just offered to have me do smaller styling sessions for lower clients and I almost burst out in tears at her words. She's never allowed me to take this big of a part in her business. My heart is racing as a graciously accept her offer and she smiles back at my excitement.

Wow this is turning into a kickass day.

Sitting at the picnic table in the garden of the office building, I have a measly lunch of grapes and cheese in front of me. I would prefer tacos or something more exciting but those with grape budgets don't get to get tacos every day.

I'm in my own world with my headphones softly playing my favorite playlist, and the first chords of Canyon Moon vibrate through my ears.

I love this song. It reminds me of summer nights and sunsets. Dipping in the pool and salty hair.

Harry's been gone a little over a ten days now. These kinds of trips aren't unusual at all for us. He splits his time pretty evenly between LA and England and has been doing it for years. With all the promo stuff for the album that's been happening, we have only hung out a handful of times in the past few months.

Still not fun to be away from your best friend, though.

We have FaceTimed twice so far. Mostly while he was getting ready for an appearance or interview. He needed to make sure he was wearing the right shoes with a suit and that his hair didn't look too floppy.