Chapter 28: Babes

"Um, what do you mean?" I ask innocently knowing full well she will see straight through any and all of my bullshit.

We're sitting on the sofa and Kim is leaning her elbow on the back of the couch, her head rests into her hand while I twist towards her and awkwardly play with my hair.

"No, don't you start that fake crap with me. I saw how Harry was with you! Are you guys together? Is he trying to be some kind of weird surrogate father to your baby or something? Please give me answers before I go crazy." Her words rushing out of her as she tries to ask as many questions as possible.

A look of instant relief washes over my face. Okay, she doesn't think this is Harry's baby. That is a good thing.

Now how to explain everything else....

"No we're not together. I promise you that." I begin making sure I look in her eyes to convey my sincerity. "He's just very protective over me and the baby. He has been treating me like actual royalty, which is funny because he's English....get it?" I say with a little sarcastic raise of my eyebrows.

"B, I cannot deal with your weird puns right now. I'm being serious, that boy looked like you walked on water and the sun shone out of your ass. That was not how I've ever seen him before." Her tone is serious as she faces towards me fully.

"We're just together all the time and you know how he is with babies. He's just excited, I think, and he feels special to be a part of this. I know it seems like something more but I swear its not."

"You're completely sure? There's nothing going on here that I should know about?" Her eyes narrow in accusation at the last second.

I hate lying to her. It goes against my nature to ever tell her a lie. From the very beginning of our friendship, we have always been honest with each other and it makes us better friends. This is like going against everything in me to do. But I know that this is how it has to be.

I know that Kim would never in a million years hurt me by blatantly telling my secret but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be an accident. She is one of the best people I know but she also can't fake any emotion and would never be able to hide if she knew. She could accidentally tell Justin or a makeup client without even realizing it. Its best this way.

At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

"I am. I promise you he's just helping me out. Cross my heart. " I say as I drag my index finger over my heart in an X to emphasis my point.

"Oh, thank god, I was worried I would have to share you with someone. I don't think my heart can take it. Plus, I need to be the only one this baby loves almost as much as you. I know Harry is steep competition but I think I can beat him with this one."

I shake my head at her words. Only Kim would have that kind of thought process. I'm just thanking my lucky stars that she is oblivious to the actual situation. I mean I get it, who would have thought that me and Harry would ever hook-up let alone have a baby together.

People like me don't have relationships with people like Harry.

We thankfully change the subject, much to my relief. Kim is one of those people who needs little to no encouragement to continue the conversation.

This turns into twenty minutes of her complaining about how Justin has essentially torn apart their perfectly fine house in order to redo it almost exactly the same. He's been working from home and that means lots of time together. That's definitely something we can commiserate about.

"Harry is driving me up a wall." I blurt out in the heat of the moment.

I instantly regret it. That kind of comment cannot be ignored when it comes to Kim.