Chapter 21: Burned

How did this happen?

That question circles around and around in my head while I sit in the back seat of the blacked out Range Rover. Jed picked me up from the hospital a half hour ago and insisted I sit in the backseat to avoid the cameras.

How do these kinds of accidents happen? I mean I know I'm not the luckiest person but I've never been through something like this before.

I think I'm in shock.

And my head is killing me.

There are seven stitches hidden by my dark hair but it still throbs as I sit here. I can feel where my head hit against the window during the accident without even touching it.

It was actually such a stupid ordeal. There was a turtle. Just a little turtle that I didn't see until the last second and being the person that I am, I braked hard to miss it. Unfortunately, this caused the car behind me to hit me from behind. Which then caused me to spin sideways into a tree.

Like I said, stupid.

It's weird looking back on it, it all seemed to be happening in slow motion. Even though I tried to maneuver the car, couldn't do anything to change anything. I do remember everything that happened in those few seconds. Like the images are burned in my brain forever.

One concussion, several stitches, and one totaled car later, I'm in the backseat while we wind through the hills towards home.

Jed's face throughout the ride has been pretty emotionless but I've caught him look back at me a couple times with blatant concern in his eyes. I'm usually much more talkative and lively. I can't even bring myself to smile right now.

Ever since I got back from the CT scan, I've been getting texts and calls from Harry. They are filled with messages of concern and apologies for everything that happened today.

I haven't brought myself to respond. I know I should. My heart is aching to ease his concern but my brain doesn't know how to deal with the whole situation yet. So, I remain silent.

I'm honestly not mad at him. I was hurt when I left the house but something about being rushed in an ambulance to the hospital and being completely alone the whole time, made me realize all I wanted was him by my side.

This scared me more than it comforted me.

I've always been an independent person. I believed that I could go through difficult times by myself without the need for someone else to help me. But when I was strapped to the paramedics bed, all I wanted was his hand in mine.

So I've decided I need to break down this whole dependency on Harry. I need to change the dynamic we have.

But I don't think this accident is gonna help anything. This is the scariest thing that's ever happened to me and now he's a part of it.

I just don't know how I'm going to face him after everything that's happened.

These thoughts repeat over and over in my mind as I stare out the heavily tinted window. Each slight bump on the road reminding me of my injuries as it burns through my head. I bring my knees to my chest and hug them to hold myself tighter together; hoping I don't unravel as soon as I see his face.

We're approaching the gate now. Just as when I left, there are a few photographers waiting at the entrance. They snap some photos of the car but none that would have me in them.

Jed pulls in front of the house and I expect to see Harry waiting at the open door. Instead, Jed comes around to my door and he is the one to guide me inside. As soon as I cross the threshold, I take a deep breath inhaling the scent of home. It's like I've never smelled something so wonderful in my life.