Chapter 22: Baby

That's not exactly how I planned on breaking the news to him. I didn't want to just blurt it out or practically scream it at him.

And Harry hasn't said anything.

It's been 12 minutes and 36 seconds since I told him I was pregnant. And he's said no words.

I've checked my watch every minute just waiting for his brain to catch up.

We're sitting next to each other on the couch and he's just staring past me. I've been silent as well waiting for him to fully absorb all of the information. The only sound in the room is the faint hum of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here playing softly from the kitchen.

Hell, I know I still need time to process it. It's only been two hours since I found out.

I know it's a cliche, but I had absolutely no idea that I was pregnant. Like actually no clue. When the nurse routinely asked before my CT scan if there was a chance, I literally laughed at her.

Yeah no, not me. I don't have sex and you obviously need sex for pregnancy.

But when she asked for my last period, I completely blanked. What week was it? I swear I just had it but maybe I didn't? Quarantine has made me ignorant of all sense of time.

When I did the math and told her I was a couple weeks late, she made me take a test.

Which was positive.

Then I had to get blood drawn to double check it was a true.

That came out positive as well.

Then I had a mental breakdown.

There was no way. We had sex one time! And we used a condom. I mean, I'm pretty sure we did.

Now that I think about it, there wasn't a used one anywhere in that room.

We couldn't be that dumb, could we?

Who has sex one time and gets pregnant? Honestly, the odds are stacked against me I swear.

So, I've been sitting on this information for a while. It doesn't make it easier. The fact that there is an actual person growing inside of me makes my stomach flip in a strange way that I can't fully describe.

But it's now been twenty minutes and Harry is still frozen and silent next to me.

"Um, I don't know if this needs to be said or not," I break the awkward silence between us, "but you're the father. Just so you know."

I mean, maybe he didn't realize this or maybe I broke his brain. But he needs to know that part of the puzzle. It seems like pretty essential information to have.

His emerald eyes break away from their dead stare and focus on mine. He then quickly scans over my body and his gaze is fixed on my unchanged belly; like he's trying to see a difference in my figure.

"But...I-no you..but we..." he begins a very garbled sentence before taking a deep breath and continuing. "I mean, we used a condom right? How is this possible?"

"I guess we didn't. Or it broke. I know that neither of us remember that night very well but do you remember seeing a used condom anywhere in that room? Because I don't." I try to remain calm and not be defensive. I know that neither of us planned this.

"But you're on birth control. Or I thought you were." He seems to be trying to justify his slow thought process.

He can't seem to wrap his head around it. I get it and believe me, I'm right there with him. This doesn't seem real.