Chapter 8

Yujin's POV

Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one, and I'm thankful that I found out it's importance — it's never too late to form a close bond with your family. The universe works in crazy ways. Your good luck will come in waves, and so does your bad, so you have to take the good with the bad and press forward.

Before this rising sun I may be only a silhouette, yet as its rays, golden and strong, touch my skin, I will be every colour I was born to radiate. Golden light dribbled over the land like syrup on oatmeal. The leaves shimmered like a mirror flecked mosaic and the morning dew sparkled on the bejeweled cobwebs and grass. It was another chilly morning as I headed to school, but this time, together with Ryujin. It was the first ever time in my life we went to school together. We stopped treating each other as strangers at home and I started to open up more. I could slowly feel what a family's love is like, it's warm. I wore an oversized Tommy sweater in baby pink while Ryujin wore a grey hoodie from mmlg.

"Ryujin!" Yuna, Yeji, Lia and Chaeryeong yelled at her from across the school field. Those punks just finished playing soccer early in the morning.

"You didn't play with them because you're too lazy to wake up early right? Piggy." I laughed at Ryujin.

"Ya! Watch what you're saying you kid!" Ryujin retorted and chased me towards the class queue. I ran for my life and almost tripped over a pebble.

We giggled at each other so much as we reached the class queue and soon after we immediately got ready for assembly. It was nice seeing Ryujin's goofy side.

"Broskiiiii!!!! I missed you" It was none other than Yena again. She won't fail to greet me after assembly ends.

"Dude it's been a day, stop being so gay oh my you miss me already?"

"Aish anyways jokes aside, I saw you coming to school with Ryujin today! I knew you guys would be okay! I'm so proud of you. Daebak!" Yena squeezed my cheeks and showed me a thumbs up.

"Ouch! You stupid duck! That hurts!"

"Ah mianhae, let's get going for Physical Education class! Songsaengnim would punish us if we're late again!" Yena mentioned as she noticed the rest of the class already gathering in front of our teacher.

We were supposed to have an interclass netball competition today. We prepared all the equipments ready for the game to proceed. I warmed up my muscles and tendons, all geared up to win this game. I've always been the ace player in netball due to my height. I glanced across at the class we're competing against, oh that's the top class, known to be best that their studies and even sports. Since Chaewon is inside, I was prepared to give it my all, to win this match. I knew Chaewon had something for Minjoo all along. Their relationship was on and off, the rumors were so confusing I gave up as I had no idea who to believe. But nonetheless, I can't lose to her. Just when I was all prepared for the war, the sky had to turn gloomy and soon after the lightning siren started sounding. Whatever I guess I'll wait till the next lesson for the game instead. What a waste.

"Girls gather around don't get caught in the rain!" Our PE teacher instructed as she asked us to assemble in this small sheltered area just beside the field.

We have 50 mins more till the lesson ends and she had to make up stand while she gave us a pep talk? I turned to Yena who was right beside me and I let out a huge yawn. This is absolutely dull and boring, the only thing stopping me from falling asleep was Minjoo standing on my left. She was attentively listening to what the teacher was talking, nodding her head.

What a studious girl. Wait, is she still angry at me though? I let out a sigh of relieve when Minjoo turned to me and asked me for the time.

"9:07! around 20 minutes more till lessons end." I looked at my fitbit and smiled

"By the way, are you still angry at me though" I pouted.

"Do I look that petty to you?" She glared.

"Ah of course not" We both giggled.

She's so adorable it's making my heart flutter. I wanted to keep the conversation going. I thought of something. 

"Do you know the fitbit I'm wearing is able to sense a person's heart rate?" I proceeded to press the function and it states my heartbeat rate is 120 bpm.

"Really that's so cool! Can I try?" Minjoo seemed so amazed I was glad I managed to impress her. I removed my fitbit tracker and put it on for her. When she clicked the heartbeat rate function, it's only 80 bpm. Well, it was quite a disappointment as I thought she felt the same way for me, guess not?

"You can wear it! Just return to me later in class."

"Ahem. Outright flirting in front of my eyes uh" Yena cleared her throat and chuckled. I turned to her and she winked at me, following by a 'good' hand sign.

"Shhh, stupid duck..."