School's Reaction (Chapter 22)

Thursday, 7th January 2016

I wake up at 5:15 in the morning, you know it takes time to get ready as a girl. I call my mom to pick an outfit for me but Bobby enters the room. She asks if she can pick one for me. I agree, "I need something that I can wear to school. Please, keep that in mind."

Bobby, "Don't worry, we should wear matching outfits. What do you say?"

I, "Whatever you say. Just don't pick something cheesy."

She picks a blue top with a matching skirt which is up to knee length, 1 inch-heel sandal. She said that the sandals will help me to get used to heels.

She says, "Now go to the bathroom and I am waiting here for you."

"But if you wait for me you will be late for school.", I say.

Bobby, "Don't worry I had already bathed and I will be ready by the time you come back."

I nod and head towards the bathroom. After the bath, I wear my outfit of the day and get back to my room. She was ready with makeup by the time. She picks my hairs from the top of my head then tie them in a ponytail behind my head.

Then she braids all the hairs in two French tails. It looks cute, I admit which is why I got a little worried. Then she put some foundation on my face along with some other products which she was teaching me how to use. I refuse to wear lipstick because I am not going to some party and she agrees.

After my makeup, she said that she is going to her room. I nod and start packing my school bag. I don't know how much I missed in the last two days but I know Pawan will help me to cover everything.

Mom calls me to have breakfast. On the dining table, I ask Bobby to come with me to school because I am really scared. She pats me on my shoulder and I feel a little relaxed.

I call Shubham as well to help me. He messages me that he is waiting for me outside his house. We all gather and move towards school. We reach there in 15 minutes. My entire team was standing outside the school gate to support me.

As we enter the school, not many students were looking at me like I am some stranger but what I feel is different. I feel like every single eye is just at me like I am a bird's eye of Arjuna from Mahabharata.

They drop me, Pawan, Suman, and John in front of our class. My teacher looks at me before I could enter the classroom. She gestures me to stay out of the class. I get filled with horror at her gesture but she gave me another sign saying calm down.

Everyone enters the classroom and I stand in front of the door then my teacher tells everybody to give their attention.

Teacher, "Class, silence, please. A lot of you already know why Ashu was absent from the last two days but I would like to tell you again so that everyone got to know. Class, Ashu is no more in this world."

The entire class get a shock at her words and started talking among themselves. I was also shocked at her words because her sound like Ashu is dead.

Teacher, "Silence! Silence! Sorry if my words passed some wrong message but what I was saying that instead of Ashu, we have Amayra with us. Yes, Ashu is officially Amayra now and I expect everyone will teach her like your fellow female classmates."

She gestures me to come in and follow the instructions. As I enter the class, the entire class open their mouths in shock like they had seen some alien. I feel so embarrassed that I hide my face in my hands and turn around. The teacher puts a hand on my shoulder and says, "Amayra they are not shocked because of your change. They are just amazed by your beauty. You are not the first transgender student in this school. So, relax."

I try to calm myself and turn back. I see thousands of questions in the eyes of my classmates and at the same moment school bell rings indicating it is time for assembly. The teacher guides us to the assembly and we follow her.

To my surprise, our school principal call me on stage at the end of the assembly. You all know that every student in school knows me. I freaked for a second then I compose myself and move towards her.

Then she places both her hands on my shoulders and makes me face the entire school. She announces, "Students, attention please, you all know Ashu very well and you all know our school policy as well. And today I feel proud of that policy that allows brilliant students like Ashu to express himself. The girl you all are looking at standing beside me is Amayra and you all knew her as Ashu."

Total chaos spread among all students. I hear some whispers and some whistles from the cloud. Some students were saying it's some kind of prank, it's not possible, she looks so much better and a lot of other comments.

Then they all unite as one and raise their both hands in front of them in an accepting gesture. It is a tradition of the school to tell someone that we are with you whatever you are.

I feel so emotional and guilty at the same time because I am not actually a transgender and probably become a boy again once the shooting starts. I don't deserve this love and support. I feel like I am cheating on them and I feel bad.

Kritika looks at me from the assembly and comes towards me. She hugs me tightly in her arms and whispers in my ears, "Hey, don't feel bad. Think about it as a big surprise for the whole school and besides you don't have any other choice."

I feel surprised that she read my face and my emotions this accurately. I look at the rest of my team standing in front of me in assembly. They all had the same words for me in their eyes. I feel a little relaxed.

The principal tells me and Kritika to go back to our positions and all students start to move back to their classes.