What's wrong with John (Chapter 24)

Author's note: This book is a work of fiction and I don't intend to promote any kind of superstition through this story. Reader's discretion is advised.

Friday, 8th January 2016

It's already 4th day after my transition and I am feeling quite comfortable already not to mention mom teaching me makeup and fashion sense. I think at this rate I will grab everything within 7 days.

It already 6 in the morning and I am laying on my bed eyes open and thinking deeply about the past few days and the upcoming future.

I think, "How would I perform in the movie? Will it be a success or not? What if the movie flopped? How will be treated when people come to know the truth? I know a lot of people cross-dressed in movies but I don't think anybody performed the role of the opposite gender for the entire movie. Would people know me as my character or what I am?"

I was busy in my thoughts when mom watches me staring at the ceiling and calls my name. I don't react, actually, I never heard her saying. She calls me again and I shake violently because of the voice.

She says, "Come on! Get up girl, otherwise, you will be late for school."

I get up, get ready and meet mom at the dining table. She looks at me with a big smile, "Wow! Amayra, you did a good job getting ready today yourself."

I thank her with a smile and starts eating. Dad asks me, "How was your day yesterday at school?"

I reply, "It was good. People were accepting. I had to encounter lots of questions but my friends kept most of them away from me."

After breakfast, Bobby, Shubham and I move towards school and we discuss the auditions on the way.

Shubham, "Today is Friday and we can only make announcements today. We also need participants to give some time for practice."

I, "You are right. I think that Monday would be the best option for auditions."

While the conversation continues, we reach school a little early. Pawan receives us at the gate and we say bye to Bobby.

Pawan, "Come on, this way. Kritika and Suman are waiting for us."

I ask, "Is everything alright?"

Pawan, "No, not everything, just follow me and we will fill you with details."

Pawan leads us to the far end of the school playground.

Kritika, "Here you come. We don't have time to waste so I fill you with the news."

I, "You guys are scaring me."

Suman, "Because it is freaking scary."

Kritika, "Suman and I were going to the market yesterday evening and we passed nearby John's house. The window of his room was open and intentionally we looked at it."

She gulps and her expressions were scary.

I, "Please come to the point."

Suman, "It's hard and we are trying."

Kritika, "We saw John floating in the air."

I burst into laughter, "I won't say it was a good joke because it wasn't."

But their eyes don't flinch for a second and Kritika puts her phone near my face showing a picture of John floating in the air.

My jaw drops looking at the picture and I say, "This this can't be true. It is, I mean, it is photoshop right?"

Kritika, "At what cost would you believe us?"

Mandeep comes from behind and speak, "Hey guys, I think there is something wrong with John."

We give him stares and he continues, "I talked with the parents of John, telling them about the impact their fights are causing on John but they refused the fact they ever lied."

Nobody says anything and I just grab the phone from Kritika and show the picture to Mandeep. He looks terrified like all of us. He says, "So, that's why I was feeling you are scared all this time."

I return the phone back to Kritika.

Shubham, "But what does that mean?"

Kritika, "I think he is possessed by something evil and we don't know how to help him."

Mandeep, "Maybe we should ask for help showing the proof we have."

While Mandeep was saying so, somebody bumps into Kritika accidently and her phone breaks into few pieces as it strikes a sharp stone.

Suman, "Great! Now no one will believe us."

Kritika picks the pieces of her phone and says, "My mom will kill me for this."

We look around to see who strikes with Kritika causing this trouble but he was long gone. We couldn't even see his face properly to accuse later.

School bell rings, we attend our classes and gather back to the same spot after having lunch with we barely eaten because of the fear and tension about John.

Shubham, "Where is Bhavika? I haven't seen her today anywhere."

John joins us and tells, "Oh! Bhavika is out of town. She went to her relatives for someone's marriage yesterday. Sorry, I forgot to tell you all."

We all were less pleased and more horrified looking at him but at the same time, we can't abandon him as well. I whisper in Kritika's ear, "You have to distract him and move away from us so that we can think of a plan."

She gulps and nods. Kritika asks John, "Hey, John, have you seen that poster on the notice board? I think you will like it. Let me show you."

They move away and I ask everybody, "Do somebody have a plan?"

Mandeep, "I read that ghosts are the souls whose wishes were not fulfilled before death. If we can find who is this ghost possessing him, maybe, we can deduce some plan."

Shubham, "I guess you are right. Poor John, maybe he even doesn't know about it himself. All the past activities of his now making sense."

I, "But how would we do that?"

Suman, "We should interview John's parents and start our search from there. I feel hungry with all this brainstorming."

I say, "Than it's settled. We will help him no matter what. Mandeep and I will go to his house tomorrow morning because Mandeep already had a few words with them."

They all agree and we go back to attend rests of the classes. After school, I went to Mrs. Khanna for my class. She teaches me more feminine moves and I impress her with my learning speed. Then I visit Mr. Gopal for my voice class. It's a bit tricky for me but continuous practice in daily life seems to make it easy.

I return home on time. I tell mom and dad that I have to go to John's place tomorrow but I don't tell them the purpose. After some chat and dinner, I study for some time and try to sleep sound which isn't a problem as I am tired too much.